• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Diego IDs from Apr 2010 (1 Viewer)

Matt_RTH

These photos were taken in San Diego in April 2010. The first photo is a sparrow/towhee type bird. I immediately thought "green tailed towhee" when I saw him.

Second image is a major mystery. The collage is all one specimen. In a couple of the collage photos, I have included the birds it was with in case that's a clue. I thought for sure this was something unusual. The huge white spot on its wing was quite startling at the moment I saw. This series may well be the worst quality ID I ever posted but hopefully the obvious field marks are diagnostic.

I'm thinking anything from Blackburnian Warbler to some kind of Oriole. I suspect it's something incredibly routine like an Audubon's YRW.

Thanks much.
Matt

Attachments

• P1020214.jpg
    P1020214.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 75
  • UFO20080305.jpg
    UFO20080305.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 77
1: Rufous-crowned Sparrow, pretty sure
2: in the magnified image, looks like a lot like an Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler in breeding plumage, considering the white wing patch, yellow throat, and white belly/undertail covert area.

Carlos

Rufous-crowned Sparrow is certainly plausible for the first - at least I don't have any better ideas. I agree with Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler for the second.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back