• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (2 Viewers)

Today's news
Snipe x125, Jack Snipe x15 (74), Water Rail x4, Kingfisher x2, Willow Tit and the Pintail per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Just over the half way mark for the month and the year list is on 74, of the eight potential additions I predicted we have added three, Peregrine, Jack Snipe and Skylark. With fourteen days left in January we still have a chance of adding a few more to the year list.

still in with a chance before the end of the month:-
Pheasant
Woodcock
Mediterranean Gull
Tawny Owl
Linnet

Good Birding YAMYAM

Pushed the pram around for 90 minutes this morning, Forge Mill Lake only. Pintail was in front of the hide but to be honest not a lot else beyond the usual. Looked like good numbers of Lapwing, probably 60+, with Several Snipe around too (may have been Jack Snipe around too but with my levels of identification skills i wouldn't be able to say!) I had some Reed Buntings here a couple of weeks ago but no sign of them today. The marsh was frozen over and half the lake but was thawing quickly by the time i left at 11:15.

I was going to look at the feeders but not sure where they are viewable from due to the building works.

Cheers:t:

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave do you keep a Valley list ? I see you keep several other lists.
Good Birding YAMYAM

No i'm afraid not. I really only tend to go about 7-8 times a year but don't keep a list. Once i move from my current house i probably won't visit as often either but will give updates if ever i go.

Regards

No i'm afraid not. I really only tend to go about 7-8 times a year but don't keep a list. Once i move from my current house i probably won't visit as often either but will give updates if ever i go.

Regards

Thanks Dave any news from your visits regardless of frequency would be very welcome :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

Forge Mill

News from today Pintail showing well, Goosander x20, Pochard x14, Tufted Duck c86, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe x2, Lapwing c44, Ring Necked Parakeet x3, Willow Tit and House Sparrow x20 per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

Nice walk around the Reserve earlier today, highlights being excellent views of Willow Tit and Kingfisher. Always a pleasure to be back at Sandwell Valley!

Also seen today stood on the ice was a 2nd Winter Herring Gull with a Yellow ring on one leg and a silver on the other unfortunately Pete C, was to far away to read any numbers or letters.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi all I have started to use my Optolyth 30x75 Scope, which I purchased several years ago off E-Bay. In the past this was the first scope I purchased, John Forty and Bob Normand swore by them and I saved hard and purchased one back in 1980 it was fantastic but alas I lost the original scope in a Car crash many moons ago while chasing a White Billed Diver up North. My old Bushnell has served me well over the last twenty odd years but its starting to get a little tired now so I have dug out the Optolyth, the point to all this is does any body no if that do a case cover for this style of Scope being a draw tube I don’t want it getting water in side. In the good old days it would have been a carrier bag of a pop bottle with the ends cut off.

Good Birding YAMYAM

Optolyth, now theres a name I haven't heard in a while! My dads been using their bins for decades, I must say I've never come across anyone else who uses them in this country. Good luck finding your case!

I don't recall ever seeing a dedicated case for those and they certainly were popular on the Scillies in the 80's - collapsed they looked like a huge food flask and at 75mm objective lens it was leading the field at the time.....

You might have to scratch-build one but do it tastefully;)

Laurie:t:

I don't recall ever seeing a dedicated case for those and they certainly were popular on the Scillies in the 80's - collapsed they looked like a huge food flask and at 75mm objective lens it was leading the field at the time.....

You might have to scratch-build one but do it tastefully;)

Laurie:t:

Cheers Laurie I will get the better half to knock one together out of Denim ;)

Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back