• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (2 Viewers)

A Common Gull and 4 Little Grebes on Swan pool this afternoon. Six Goosanders flew over and seemed to be heading in the direction of Sheepwash.

At dusk on Forge Mill lake there were 58 Goosanders. Also 24 Gadwall.

Not for the faint hearted down the Valley this afternoon.....the rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was making it fall horizontally. Needless to say not a lot about.

Swan pool had 85 Tufted Ducks, 5 Little Grebes, only 6 Herring Gulls (20-odd yesterday), 1 Cormorant.

FML.....1 Grey Wagtail, 42 Goosanders. Good numbers of Goldfinches and Greenfinches around the RSPB centre, plus half a dozen Bullfinches. A few Siskins around the main car park and heard flying over.

Christmas Eve tomorrow and I know I will not be out Birding and more than likely visiting relatives after I finally finish work so I will take the opportunity now to wish everyone a Happy Christmas
Good Birding YAMYAM

I noticed on the Upton thread they did a bird of the year I know we still have a few days to go till 2016 but It's going to take something extremely good to beat the GREAT REED WARBLER so it gets my vote and a big thank you to Matt Hadlington for finding the bird. Any body else have a bird of the year or birds of the year Avocet would have been my second choice and the trio of Ruff my third.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Swan Pool
Goldeneye, Kingfisher, Snipe, Water Rail and a Scaup Faced Tufty. On Forge Mill Goosander x35, Gadwall c33, Teal x26, Snipe c10 and another Scaup Faced Tufty per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Is the RSPB centre going to be open over the Xmas/New Year period. I'm at work Sat and Sun but hoping to get down the Valley first thing in the morning.

Closed xmas day also closed 28th and 29th December but open every other day 10:00-15:00 including new years day
Good Birding YAMYAM

Swan pool this afternoon 3pm - 4pm.

1 Great black backed Gull
1 Common Gull
16 Herring Gulls
46 LBB Gulls
200+ BH Gulls

25 Mute Swans
4 Little Grebes

1 Green Woodpecker

By 4pm most of the large gulls had departed and the roost was made up of Black heads and half a dozen LBBG's.

Not in the Valley but not far away has the Crow fly's I had a party of seven Geese flying over I had no Bins on me at the time but I don't think they where Canada's
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Steve total and last Valley lifer will be fine, if you PM me your Mobile I will put you on the group text for any Valley birds of note cheers Dave
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
League update
Steve Roper joins our league table welcome aboard Steve

1.Dave Saunders, 210 latest-Great Reed Warbler
2.Pete Hackett, 207 latest- Great Reed Warbler
3.Tim Hextell, 200 latest- Great Reed Warbler
4.Matt Hadlington, 191 latest- Great Reed Warbler
5.Hughie King, 177 latest- Great Reed Warbler
6.Simon Edwards, 172 latest-Ruff
7.Terry Parker, 169 latest- Little Egret
8.John Clarke, 162 latest- Great Reed Warbler