• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saunders's vs Little Tern Id help please, Muscat, Oman, Mar 23, 2024 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, have been reading a bit on the issues in accurately idenifying saunders's and little terns and understand that in non-breeding, non-flying birds it is extremely difficult. But on the basis that not all knowledge is written down, I am risking asking for any help on whether these photos show one or the other. Of course, perhaps they are something else again:)
There were quite a few sandwich terns (and greater and lesser crested) nearby but I don't see any yellow tip on this ones, and they seemed "closer to the ground".
Photos taken on the coast just south or west of the airport in Muscat, near a small creek flowing into the ocean.
Thank you in advance for all comments, suggestions and criticisms:)
steve

Attachments

• DSCN8142.JPG
    DSCN8142.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 97
  • DSCN8142.JPG
    DSCN8142.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 98
  • fullsizeoutput_1d35.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d35.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
No little-tern-types here: bills too short, legs too long and wrong colour. Marsh terns? Terns are so tricky...

Hi bhutjoe, the first two photos (or rather, one photo uploaded twice) show a (presumed second calendar year) Little Tern.
Saunders's Tern is actually easy to exclude, based on the pattern of the inner primaries, the head pattern, the colour of the outer primaries and the colour of the greater coverts. Contrary to your understanding, the identification of Saunders's Tern is easier in non-breeding than breeding plumages. If you are interested in this matter, have a look at the recent paper by Mullarney & Campbell (2022). It is already a classic!
Note that non-breeding Saunders's Terns actually seem to be very rare in the Persian Gulf.

Your third photo shows two Common Terns.

Could you give just a few basic ID pointers?
For the Common Terns? The head pattern, with extensive black nape and rear crown, as well as the typical, downward black 'curl' reaching below eye level. Bill shape, with rather strong base and straight lower mandible, helps to separate from White-cheeked tern.

... and the little tern?
head pattern, with extensive black nape and rear crown, as well as the typical, downward black 'curl' reaching below eye level. Bill shape, with rather strong base and straight lower mandible
Thanks for specifying - though I can't say I find any of that distinctive. Terns are so tricky... 🤷🏻

Thank you Smiths, much appreciated for the additional info re common vs white-cheeked terns. I took a few photos today that I think are one or the other so I will apply your information to them.
thank you again
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back