• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scarlet Darter(?) and a spider (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just starting to see some Dragonflies here now and this one landed on the edge of our pool so if someone can confirm the ID for me I'd be grateful.

Later, a black dragongfly seemed to be laying eggs in our pool but it didn't land for a shot, can someone tell me if it's lilely to be Black Percher Diplacodes lefebvrii on status and timing?

I'll throw in a bonus spider which landed on my chest as I sat in the sun, not a great picture as I'm struggling to set up my Olympus TG6 which over exposes everything terribly

Attachments

• Dragonfly.jpg
    Dragonfly.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 27
Scarlet Darter (or Broad Scarlet) male for the dragonfly. (Long yellow pterostigmas eliminates all the european Dropwings)

I have my T6 set at -2/3 for the exposure compensation all the time - even here in the gloom!

Last edited:
You're within range and season for Black Percher in Cyprus, according to my old copy of Dijkstra, but there are a fair few options where the female is yellow & black so I doubt you can go further than just noting that it's a species to keep an eye out for.

I think Diplacodes lefebvrii or Selysiothemis nigra would be equally likely for a pond ovipositor - they both go pretty dark and, in my experience, move so fast that it's difficult to get much detail on them in flight.

There's a downloadable paper at Diversity, Status and Phenology of the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Cyprus (Insecta: Odonata) with fairly up to date information on the dragonflies of cyprus.
Thanks Paul, done.
Agree with Paul on the dragon. Spider looks rather like an Thomisus sp.
Can only see reference to one, variable species

Managed to get some better shots

Attachments

• P5210048.JPG
    P5210048.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • P5210046.JPG
    P5210046.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • P5210050.JPG
    P5210050.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back