• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scaup? Central Scotland 1/4/23 (1 Viewer)

Dawsy

I saw this duck today with a flock of tufted ducks. The white on the face is pretty limited and well within the range for a tufted but it stood out as being a different shape: big bill, round head and sloping back seem to fit scaup better. Thoughts?
Michael

Aythya_230401_103023.jpg

Aythya_230401_103020.jpg

Hello,
Interesting bird, do you have more pictures?

I think the choice is between a 2cy female Scaup (excluding a Lesser Scaup just by location, is this justified?) and a Tufted Duck x Pochard hybrid.

On my actual device, the eye seems darkish, warm olive with an dirty orange tinge? And the base of the bill seems darkish, but this might well be the result of artifacts and picture quality

If these two points are actually real, than it might well be the mentioned hybrid combination.

I hope for more pictures and comments. Thanks!

Hello,
Interesting bird, do you have more pictures?

I think the choice is between a 2cy female Scaup (excluding a Lesser Scaup just by location, is this justified?) and a Tufted Duck x Pochard hybrid.

On my actual device, the eye seems darkish, warm olive with an dirty orange tinge? And the base of the bill seems darkish, but this might well be the result of artifacts and picture quality

If these two points are actually real, than it might well be the mentioned hybrid combination.

I hope for more pictures and comments. Thanks!
Thanks for the comments.
Here are all the other images; I don't imagine they add much. Interestingly, my first impression was of a pochard so I certainly wouldn't rule out a hybrid. The eyes looked pretty yellow in the field but the light was terrible (hence the bad pictures) and I only had binoculars so it was hard to make out colour details. Same for the bill; I didn't pay attention to the base but was looking for black on the tip and couldn't actually see any. I took that to show just that my views were bad!
Michael

Aythya_230401_103022_01.jpgAythya_230401_103022.jpgAythya_230401_103020_01.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back