• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scaup identification help (1 Viewer)

JWalck

Ohh - yes, a scaup. This scaup was seen in Tennessee (USA). A group of us have called it a greater scaup, but it isn't clear-cut (as is many times with scaup). To us, it clearly isn't a lesser scaup but some other birds have suggested that it is. For now, I won't go into the traits that we feel lean towards greater vs lesser.
Here's a link with photographs: https://ebird.org/checklist/S101830...Z5t9N_Lh520kiLSlJlRREMeqwtP_F5ICjGNvUxR6PZAkE
Be great to hear from some other people.
Thanks, Jeff

Quite difficult but I think Greater Scaup compared to lesser based on head shape being a bit too rotund for a lesser. Not entirely sure though.

Last edited:
It's a clear Greater Scaup, given the width of the nail on the tip of the bill, as seen in the third and fourth photos. There's nothing strongly indicative of Lesser Scaup about the shape of the head.

Looks better for greater scaup for me due to width of black nail, green on head reaching the crown, rather white flanks. rather round head shape .

Everyone - Thanks to you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it:) I'm going with greater.
Good birding, Jeff

anyway classic greater scaup
I wouldn't say classic Greater, because the peak of the head looks to be at the rear, especially in the first picture. But Lesser wouldn't have this head shape either, and with all the other characteristics I agree that this bird is a Greater Scaup.

One other feature that put me towards Greater was the shape proportions next to Redheads. I've found that, even next to Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup appears slightly smaller with a thinner neck and smaller head (regardless of shape). Redhead is noticeably larger and bulkier than Ring-necked, and I feel that this bird closely matches the adjacent Redheads in terms of head size and overall bulk.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back