• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Schalow's Turaco (Tauraco schalowi) (1 Viewer)

Steve G

RAINBIRDER
This may be a wee bit cheeky but the current image of this species in Opus & on the database is... well..... almost unrecognisable.

I have some poor close-up images which may be of use.
This bird was a real b*ggar to photograph! I chased a number of different individuals through woodland but never managed to persuade one to break cover. Strangely they are quite approachable but they stick to canopy/dense shade peering through gaps in the foliage. On the few occasions that the whole bird was visible it was always strongly backlit making a detailed image at low ISO impossible. None of the birds would sit long enough for me to get the tripod + flash into position so I gave up on this & simply chased the bird with the 500mm IS lens handheld. Image after image came out blurred provoking some major tantrums much to the delight of my Masai minder who was impressed with how high a Scotsman can jump! ;)

Images taken in riparian woodland along the edge of the Talek river in the Masai Mara, Kenya.

Attachments

• Schalow's Turaco 1.jpg
    Schalow's Turaco 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Schalow's Turaco 7.jpg
    Schalow's Turaco 7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Schalow's Turaco 8.jpg
    Schalow's Turaco 8.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 113
Steve,

Excellent pictures, well done. I believe the blurry ones in the database were mine, apologies. After +10 years in Angola, I've only seen them twice and at huge distance. I look for them every weekend, and sometimes see Ross's Turacos.

It's good to know what they look like close to, and if I ever get a better photo, most unlikely, it'll make my day!

Cheers,

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back