• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope Decision Nikon/Kowa (5 Viewers)

scampo said:
Hard choice - I like angled scopes, but if I had a Nikon camera, I'd probably go for a Nikon scope! And my - isn't it such a well-made scope? It looks and feels the beauty it truly is. Optics sharp to the edge, too with easily the most natural view currently available from any manufacturer in my view. Nikon's focusing is a dream - such speed once you've got used to it!

Steve,
When using a camera with the scope. Do you still prefer an angled scope over a straight scope?

normjackson said:
I believe the newer zoom Kowa TSE-Z9B is the zoom eyepiece to go for which has a much better better reputation than the old one (OK except perhaps at 20x for digiscoping...) :
http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddetail.asp?pn=TSE-Z9B%20(20-60x%20Zoom)&co=10000335
FWIW at OpticsPlanet there's an advice forum there where a member of staff is evidently a huge fan of the 663 with this zoom eyepiece.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about2159.html&highlight=kowa

Norm,
Thanks, this a nice write-up on the Kowa 66ED and 111ED. "The Kowa 663 with the TSE-Z9B, 20-60 eyepiece as my personal scope for birding. I won't claim it is significantly better than the 60mm as far as performance, I can honestly claim that the 663 will come within 95% of the big stuff and I can honestly claim that I have never felt undergunned with this scope." OpticsPlanet.

greg g said:
Dux/Swiss excellent point about the ability to use the same eyepieces from one scope to another with Nikon. Also Tero you were right about the mount from the scope to the tripod not being set correctly, I could have swore I'd done it right the first time. Ian, today I'm looking thru two scopes the Kowa 66ED and the Nikon 60 non-ED. It is amazing how superior the Kowa 66ED is, the light off the water ripples, feather color, no comparison. Common sense I guess but this just confirms size and glass quality. I thought I had it narrowed down to the Nikon 60ED or 82 ED, then the darn Zeiss 65 slips into consideration, then since I'm looking at 82ED why don't I consider the Zeiss 85? Start looking into the ability to use a camera and the forum says the Kowa eyepieces are easier to use than either the Nikon or Zeiss. Wow, the amount of information, combinations and considerations, I can't with a clear conscience go out and buy one right away but I want to. Thanks for the reference to web reviews and your opinions. It really helps me understand the tools for birding and appreciate all the experince and work that you have done on making your own decisions. Life is good!

sorry your original post said ED Nikon!!

if you are going to consider Zeiss then look at Leica and Swaro as well ;)

as I commented earlier you can get the kowa 663 and the Nikon EDIII for the same price at Eagle optics.

Last edited:
pduxon said:
sorry your original post said ED Nikon!!

if you are going to consider Zeiss then look at Leica and Swaro as well ;)

as I commented earlier you can get the kowa 663 and the Nikon EDIII for the same price at Eagle optics.

Yea that was my fault, I have always considered looking at the ED but the model I borrowed wasn't ED because they didn't have one. You're right on the pricing and that is why I was considering those two models, plus the weight consideration. The high end glass is what I'll use. (I'm in the window glass business and people with money install low-iron glass in their homes/busineses and that type of glass makes a difference). The more I'm looking at different models it appears I've changed towards a larger scope. I have looked at the Leica and Swaro and they are incredible and are way out of my price range. My budget has doubled since I originaly looked at a scope.(The first wow I looked at was the 50ED). Then I went to the 60/66 ED. I'm a casual wildlife guy but you start checking out these different views and you get hooked. I started looking into the Zeiss 85 and I see they are coming out with their own eyepiece camera DC4 that looks interesting. You would think Nikon would do something like that with their background.

scampo said:
Hard choice - I like angled scopes, but if I had a Nikon camera, I'd probably go for a Nikon scope! And my - isn't it such a well-made scope? It looks and feels the beauty it truly is. Optics sharp to the edge, too with easily the most natural view currently available from any manufacturer in my view. Nikon's focusing is a dream - such speed once you've got used to it!

Steve,
I can sure tell you appreciate nice optical equipment. Actually my wife has about four different Nikon Cameras. I was the guy that just did hiking and climbing with a pair of binoculars. I have a question, you have one choice and you figure this will be your only scope. The choice of the 82ED with two eyepieces 20-60 zoom and 30x wide or would you get a Zeiss 85 with one 20-60 zoom?

greg g said:
horukuru said:
ok make it like this, kowa, nikon, swaro, leica and zeiss scopes are the best for birding and digiscoping, so choose either one of them and you will not regret it because buyers are paying for the scope and we are giving our opinions based on our experienced with the scopes ...

im using nikon for birding at the same time showing birders around the world (especially birders from UK) birds that lives and migrates to borneo island. all of them were satisfied.

Horukuru
On purchasing one fixed eyepiece for either the Nikon ED82 or ED111 scope for mainly birding with a little photo thrown in, would you get a 20x/30x/38x wide MC or a 16x/24x/30x wide DS?

hio greg,

im using the 16x/24x/30x wide DS at this moment and planning to purchase the Fuji F-30 camera for my digiscoping and this eyepiece is good for digiscoping because of the longer eye relief (18mm) and for normal viewing, it has rubber cup that can be attached on the eyepiece :eek:

for faster action between taking picture and normal viewing, the swing away bracket or adapter would be suitable for that and i think it applies to all type of spotting scope regardless of brand :eek:

the problem here, i need to look for someone in malaysia who can design the swing away adapter for my scope ...

Greg
You sound like you are getting a bit overwhelmed by the choice of wonderful scopes on offer (who wouldn't if they could afford them all).
I would advise that you consider the way you think you will use the scope. There's too many people out there already with 'big' scopes who leave them at home/in the car because they are essentially the more mobile kind of birder (and end up buying a MM2 or ED50 as well).
This is complemented by birders who want the best possible view from a scope, regardless of the weight involved and are willing to put up with it, or are birders who seldom stray far from their vehicles.
This is probably why there is a popular market for the 'smaller scope's', such as the Zeiss 65/Leica 62/Kowa663 etc, which in my view give a compromise of lighter weight against a brighter image or more power, but still providing a good quality image. IMO, the advantage of these is that they don't get left at home, and you don't think twice before setting off on a trek with one, if this is the kind of birding you do.

Scope

greg g said:
Wow, this forum is great. It is really helpful, confusing and I can tell that it will cost me more money. Today I've changed my mind/direction and pushed my budget up some to consider a Nikon 82ED or Nikon 60ED or a Zeiss 65. What I realize from trying the different scopes and reading the forum is this is a very hard decision but fun one too. Two things I like about the Zeiss is the "fine" tuning focus dial and the FOV with the zoom. Everything else I like with the Nikon. If I consider cost equal on all three of these scopes I'm still not sure. I'm still not quite use to the angled scope but I can tell there are advantages so I'm leaning that way. From reading the forum it appears that my D80 Nikon camera is not the camera to use with these scopes. From what I’ve read so far the birders mention disappointment and frustration trying to use a SLR camera with the scopes. It seems to be my understanding from reading the forum the recommendations appear to be it would be easier/better to purchase a "coolpix" or similar and not fight the disappointment trying to make the SLR work? Thanks for all of your comments. It just helps me make a more informed decision. The journey to buy my first scope is a lot of fun and very interesting! I want to mention that I was able to watch an eagle take a bath in a lake while trying out two scopes (the N-60ED and K-66ED with a 20-60 zoom). Watching him fluff his feathers and checking out his eye. That is one reason that I'm thinking of the 82. If an opportunity like that happens again I want to really "look him in the eye". Again any advice, personal opinion or experience on these scopes as just a scope or with a camera is greatly appreciated!

Hi Greg
I am in a similar position looking for my first scope,I am also rather cautious as one wants the best option which no doubt youll only discover after the purchase ,interesting what you say about SLR's is digiscoping not a quality option,have not really studied whats its all about but I am used to a SLR & will be disappointed to not get the same results?

bronek said:
Hi Greg
I am in a similar position looking for my first scope,I am also rather cautious as one wants the best option which no doubt youll only discover after the purchase ,interesting what you say about SLR's is digiscoping not a quality option,have not really studied whats its all about but I am used to a SLR & will be disappointed to not get the same results?
Zeiss zoom is the widest by far - you see more of what you look at; Nikon zoom the narrowest especially at 25x; but... Nikon view is unsurpassed for overall sharpness, contrast and colour rendition. You will not be disappointed with either scope, that's for sure.

The Zeiss fine focus control is, as you say, excellent - I find that you really never use the "coarse" control.

I have the Zeiss 85 but if I had my choice again, I expect I'd buy the 65; my son has the ED82 and wouldn't swap!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back