• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotch Argus in mid/late august (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Hi, my Collins British insects says that Scotch Argus should be flying in july/august and gives a distribution for most of Scotland.

Can anyone help me on just how easy to see they would be in the third week of august without too much serious hillwalking. (Will have a car) Any good reserves or sites?

I'm based at Glenloy and then Nethy Bridge.

Similarly for Large Heath I guess but Scotch Argus would be more of a priority.

I've seen Scotch Argus in Speyside (not sure of date) around the Steam railways stations, so at low levels: also on Ardnamurchan down to sea level, so hillwalking shouldn't be necessary. Sites and prevalence in general in relation to your locations I'm not so sure about but I suspect if they are in season you won't have too much difficulty.

John

Insh Marshes RSPB reserve is good to see Scotch Argus, often right next to the car park. Anywhere grassy really, and there should be plenty about in the 3rd week of August. Large Heath will be near the end of the flight season and are never the easiest to see at the best of times. There have been a couple of sightings on the outskirts of Anagach Woods in Grantown-on-Spey, but the area around Lochindorb is probably easier. There are a couple of places you can park and have a look around and might get lucky. The Scotica form of Large Heath is much plainer than the forms you'll see in England, and more easily confused with Small Heath. There are some good photos on the Butterfly Conservation website. Large Heath

Any particular Mammal or Bird targets?
Ptarmigan. Pine marten. velvet scoter Mountain hare Would be lifers. (As would caper but not holding my breath)

golden eagle and crested tit would be U.K. ticks.

think I have a decent itinerary but hopefully weather and wildlife cooperates

Insh Marshes RSPB reserve is good to see Scotch Argus, often right next to the car park. Anywhere grassy really, and there should be plenty about in the 3rd week of August. Large Heath will be near the end of the flight season and are never the easiest to see at the best of times. There have been a couple of sightings on the outskirts of Anagach Woods in Grantown-on-Spey, but the area around Lochindorb is probably easier. There are a couple of places you can park and have a look around and might get lucky. The Scotica form of Large Heath is much plainer than the forms you'll see in England, and more easily confused with Small Heath. There are some good photos on the Butterfly Conservation website. Large Heath
Thank you I’ll have a look at the map and itinerary

Glenshee Ski Lift produced plenty of mountain hares, and should produce ptarmigan. Pine Marten should be possible at a hide near Blairgowrie around 10 pm. Crested tit were in Garten Woods with other tits. Apparently not a good year for Caper, weather was poor for Eagle finding and scoter were scarce in the bays visited.

Thanks. Yes definitely doing the ski lift. My bnb advertises pine marten so hopefully that’ll be good. I think it should be a good trip but all info is appreciated

That’s cool. Got a night booked in otterton next week but if we don’t score there a Scottish site would be great
The River Ericht around Blairgowrie is great for Beaver but evenings at the Loch of the Lowes are also a good bet: scan the bay between the hides and the Osprey tree and you should see something eventually (we dipped last autumn because although the hides are normally open 24/7, for the purposes of the pandemic they were shut: I don't know what the current practise is).

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back