• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish independence and your UK list.... (1 Viewer)

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned Steller’s Eider, must be a few birders on here that saw the Drake on South Uist.

I seem to be hearing a lot in the news at the moment about a push for a second Scottish Independence Referendum. Leaving aside the politics of this (please!!), how many species would you lose from your UK list? I know a lot of folk keep a British Isles list, or a Britain & Ireland list that could just as easily accommodate birds seen in an independent Scotland, but just as an idle thought experiment (I’m stuck isolating, so I suppose this thread is a product of too much time on my hands).

I’d lose 14 species, Lesser Canada Goose (Caerlaverock), two Harlequins (Sullom Voe & Aberdeen), two Barrow’s Goldeneye (or possibly the same, don’t know if it was ever determined – Meikle Loch & Callander), the Musselburgh White-winged Scoter, Caper & Ptarmigan, Albert, Grey-tailed Tattler (Burghead) & Short-billed Dowitcher (Rosehearty), Belted Kingfisher near Aberdeen, the Kilrenny Masked Shrike, Crested Tit, a Paddyfield Warbler at Torness & Scotbill.

Of course, twitchers north of the border would have to reckon things somewhat differently, but I would guess most would already keep a discrete Scotland List. I certainly keep a Wales list (but only really actively pursue a North Wales list), although I never figured out my England list when I lived there.

Any thoughts?
So, 12 months later and I have managed to remove two from my original list - Black-browed Albatross & Belted Kingfisher!

So, 12 months later and I have managed to remove two from my original list - Black-browed Albatross & Belted Kingfisher!
Pretty much the reason I went up to Lancashire. I could get the Black Scoter back too, but I’m waiting for a lull in Covid before I make a long weekend of it. (So 2024 then)

I have a list of 28-and the species I would lose from my list are Arctic Skua, Hooded Crow, Ptarmigan, Hawfinch, Slavonian Grebe. Luckily I have seen the Lake District Golden Eagle.
If Wales left then I would lose Savi's Warbler, Black Grouse, maybe Black Guillemot as I can't remember if I saw them at St Bee's.

I did have a look through the thread but I wonder if anyone know what the Scottish list alone would be and same for England and Wales and Northern Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

There is another option that people seem to be missing and it's a lot greener, just carry on as if nothing had happened if Scotland or Wales split, many do it with Ireland.

Scottish list available here....

Scottish list available here....
I'd lose tons of stuff but it doesn't really bother me.

Qick count 18

Last edited:
Interesting thought, I would lose quite a few like most birders: -

Varied Thrush (Orkneys)
Siberian Rubythroat (Shetland)
Siberian Thrush
Barrow's Goldeneye
Harlequin Duck
Capercaillie
Scottish Crossbill
Crested Tit
White-winged Scoter
Ptarmigan
White-tailed Eagle

But I do keep a BOU list and also a 'Britain, Ireland, and Isle of Man' list so if Scotland does become independent at some point (I don't blame them but hope they don't, as I love and value the Scots........sorry being vaguely personal there), I am sure most would revert to that list which would surely be adapted.

Last edited:
It would make sense to tweak the name of the Britain, Ireland, IOM list, and just keep it going. I'm sure it wouldn't be any major problem. I use that list each year as I have family in Ireland and would be able to tick any birds seen if we popped over to visit. (given the age of my relatives, it'd be more likely for funerals, sadly)

I worked out my English list last year. Some easier holes including one twitchable currently if I fancy it - Black Scoter...

It is 512 plus the following to get to my British, Isle of Man & Ireland total:-
Ireland only - 7
Isle of Man only - 1
Scotland only - 43
Wales only - 8
Scotland & Wales - 2
Wales & Ireland - 1

Some of those are unlikely to recur but easiest King Eider, Killdeer & Hidsonian Whimbrel in addition to the Black Scoter probably...

Planning to take opportunities when they arise.

All the best

Paul

You wouldn't lose any from your list because "independence" currently only refers to the "union of parliaments" and not to the "union of crowns" so with even an independent parliament in Scotland there would still be a United Kingdom!! Put your red pens and rubbers away, it's fine!! Anyway, the political map aside, our "islands" are geographically known as the British Isles and probably always will be (includes Britain and Ireland) so - where there's a will, there's a way!! The list shall remain, one way or the other, I'm sure.

Thanks, Andrea. As a wee small boy I planned on making the journey across to St Bees from Durham to see Black Guillemot, but I never did make it there. Nice to know they're still around.

If anyone is ever in Oban I can recommend a stroll along the seafront there and the amazing views of Tysties sitting on the promenade right there in front of you.
Afternoon.

There is a Black Guillemot seen regularly this winter around Whitstable, Kent.

Regards

Pure speculation on my part, but what might happen to the Scot’s list if Shetland was acceded back to Norway?😮😮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back