• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Screech owl nestbox now a BEEHIVE!!!!! (1 Viewer)

greenbill

I placed a screech owl nestbox about 20 feet high on a larch tree at the edge of a wooded area back in February. The bottom was filled with a small amount of wood shavings. Last week I looked at the house and found tons of bees swarming in and out of the entrance hole. Naturally, I can't get too close, but it appears that they are honey bees.

Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Whoa, hopefully you'll have honey to "harvest" in the fall! ;) I've never heard of this happening so it'll be cool to see who responds and where.

A scary thought: Are you sure these aren't the Africanized bees? You'll want to definitely get rid of them if so, but only an entomologist could tell for sure.

It might be worth while checking to see if there are any beekeepers in your area to get them identified, then you can decide one way or the other what you want to do with them,who knows if they are Honey bees they might even be happy to take them for you.

Also it would be worthwhile to know if they are Africanized Bees and if they are these have them dealt with.

We didn't get them in a box they decided to use one of out Viburnam trees and hang the combs, it was quite interesting to watch this develop. We do have some pictures which my huband bravely took- saying that they were no trouble at all.

I will see if I can find the photos and post one on this thread.

Katy Penland said:
...Are you sure these aren't the Africanized bees? You'll want to definitely get rid of them if so, but only an entomologist could tell for sure.
That's one of the first things that I thought about when I saw the bees. I may contact a beekeeper to take a look and see if it can be removed.

Something similar happened to a Screech Owl box I made 2 years ago. I checked it a couple weeks ago and it had what looked like a wasp or hornet nest in it, although I didn't see any of the nasty little things. I'm just leaving it til fall and then do something about it. I may toss the box as it was my first attempt and can improve it, as well as the location.

We had our first encounter with honeybees this year. We have three screech owl boxes on our lot and the newest one was filled with bees this year. We had a beekeeper come out and remove the box and later told us that they were Africanized honeybees. He cleaned out the box and returned it to us and we were told to rub bar soap on the inside lid before replacing for the next season. Has anyone done this before and if so, does it work? Does it bother the screech owls? We have had them in our yard for 5 years and I sure don't want them to go elsewhere.

Several years ago a neighbor friend gave me a Bluebird Nest Box to put up in our yard. We live in a strictly residential area of Saint Joseph and I knew it was not proper habitat for the Eastern Bluebirds. The bluebirds like areas like pastures, golf courses, and other open areas which a few trees here and there. I accepted the box and put it on a steel fence post. The box was placed about four feet high. I did not get bluebirds, but Black-capped Chickadees became interested and began building a nest in the box. After a few days I noticed bumble bees entering and leaving the box. Upon investigation I found that the bees had their nest under the nesting material of the birds. I removed the top of the nest box and filled it with dirt and packed the dirt down. After a few more days I entirely emptied the contents and replaced the now vacant nest box on the fence post. The chickadees rebuilt their nest (the discouraged bees did not return), laid their eggs and in time fledged five young birds!

Update...

This past week I was going to sleep and I heard a pair of screech owls calling each other in the back yard. Obviously the bees are still in the box so the owls won't even be able to check it out! :C

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

just building a box for screech owls

greenbill said:
Update...

This past week I was going to sleep and I heard a pair of screech owls calling each other in the back yard. Obviously the bees are still in the box so the owls won't even be able to check it out! :C

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
I was wondering when to place a new nestbox. I dont really know what time of year they start nesting. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Have you had your box up long, and have you been successful as of yet getting ridof the bees?

Last edited:
Katy Penland said:
Whoa, hopefully you'll have honey to "harvest" in the fall! ;) I've never heard of this happening so it'll be cool to see who responds and where.

A scary thought: Are you sure these aren't the Africanized bees? You'll want to definitely get rid of them if so, but only an entomologist could tell for sure.
africanized bees arnt that far north in the USA. they cant survive the winters. they probably are american or european.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back