• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Brazil birding trip - wetland sites? (1 Viewer)

johnraven

I'm planning a 3 week birding trip to SE Brazil in late Aug/early Sep. I have identified various birding spots from trip reports and excellent Arthur Grosset's website. All these sites are primarily Atlantic Forest or Cerrado.

My question is, are there any good wetland birding sites in the states of Rio de Janeiro, Espirito Santo or Sao Paulo?

When I was staying at Serra dos Tucanos (recommended) they took us to the REGUA wetlands - only small ponds but a change from the forests. REGUA have a website.

Steve

John,
If you're going to Serra da Canastra, there is a small wetland area that you might well pass near, particularly if you were heading down to Ubatuba after doing Canastra.It's before the ferry on the road from Passos to São João Batista do Glória - details on the Arthur Grosset site. Bit of a detour, but a brief visit there this April gave us Masked Duck.

cheers,
Richard

Thanks for that - I should be going to both places.
And yes, I'm just looking for a way of having a break from all the forests and cerrados, aside from Rio nightlife that is.
John

I'm planning a 3 week birding trip to SE Brazil in late Aug/early Sep. I have identified various birding spots from trip reports and excellent Arthur Grosset's website. All these sites are primarily Atlantic Forest or Cerrado.

My question is, are there any good wetland birding sites in the states of Rio de Janeiro, Espirito Santo or Sao Paulo?

I second the recommendation to consult the Site Notes in Mr. Grosset's site [ http://www.arthurgrosset.com/ ], they are prepared by Jeremy Minns who is an active birder based in São Paulo. One interesting wetland site mentioned there is Biritiba-Mirim which is said to be within an hour drive from Guarulhos International Airport in São Paulo. This site has a small population of the recently discovered Marsh Antwren (Stymphalornis acutirostris, some consider this population to be a different species in the same genus).

Dalcio

When I was staying at Serra dos Tucanos (recommended) they took us to the REGUA wetlands - only small ponds but a change from the forests. REGUA have a website.

A few nice rails/crakes are also possible there, but seeing them is often a problem.

I second the recommendation to consult the Site Notes in Mr. Grosset's site [ http://www.arthurgrosset.com/ ], they are prepared by Jeremy Minns who is an active birder based in São Paulo. One interesting wetland site mentioned there is Biritiba-Mirim which is said to be within an hour drive from Guarulhos International Airport in São Paulo. This site has a small population of the recently discovered Marsh Antwren (Stymphalornis acutirostris, some consider this population to be a different species in the same genus).

And it is quite easy there (but if you use playback then use it with great care, as it is a rare [sub]species you're dealing). I've also seen some interesting seedeaters at the site, but suspect that's pretty seasonal. The lagoons near the Restinga Antwren site (described briefly under Maçambaba on Arthur Grosset's site) are also nice, but I've only seen waders and a few ducks there. For easily accessible, better & larger wetlands it's generally Paraná, Santa Catarina or Rio Grande do Sul (or of course the Pantanal), but I guess these states are out of reach on your trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back