• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Peru Trip Report (July-August 2008) (1 Viewer)

pbono

I recently took a trip to SE Peru (Abra Malaga, Abancay, plus Manu Road, Amazonia Lodge, and Manu Wildlife Center. The trip was led by Dr. Huw Lloyd of Manu Expeditions, based in Cusco, Peru.

I have posted my full trip report at:

http://www.prba.com/tr_peru2008.htm

(Other trip reports and photos can be viewed at http://www.prba.com/prbpers.htm)

I have posted a photo album at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gyrfalcon5000/Peru_2008_Album#

Please PM me with any corrections to the captions on the photos in the photo album.

Peter Bono

Awesome photos!! Royal Cinclodes, White-browed Tit-Spinetail, Plushcap, etc. and Jaguar too!! What an awesome trip- gotta love SE Peru. I worked in the region for a year- such an exciting place.

Peter: simply fantastic! I'm in awe - what photos. How lucky were you with that Jaguar!
And a very impressive list.
I'll have to go.

Hello,

very interesting pictures.
Where is the Abra Malaga road ? you have seen good species there !

i have been at Explorers Inn in Tambopata and Laguna Huaracapay, but i would like to bird the Manu road too.

marko

Abra Malaga

Marko--

The Abra Malaga road goes north and west out of Ollantaytambo (which is 60 km west of Cusco). You drive up a recently paved road that goes over the pass at above 4000m and then start to descend. You stop at various locations (elevations) along the road and bird the roadside. Pretty easy birding, once you get used to the elevation.

Peter

Hello,

very interesting pictures.
Where is the Abra Malaga road ? you have seen good species there !

i have been at Explorers Inn in Tambopata and Laguna Huaracapay, but i would like to bird the Manu road too.

marko

Peter,
Quite a trip list and some interesting photos. I think the Versicolored Barbet is fantastic! Definitely a trip to add to my wish list!

PBono not wanting to stir things up but how can you add 176 birds to your list as heard only ? Surely it's birdwatching and not birdlistening ? I reiterate not looking for an arguement but honestly can not understand how you can tick a bird on call. Call me old fashioned but I really don't get it...

The facts are out there for any one who wants to know them

Well, you see, it's MY LIST--not your list or anyone else's list! That's the great thing about bird listing--you follow whatever rules you want. Just be honest and transparent when you report your numbers publically.

So, when I say I have xxxx on my life list with yyy as heard only, you can do the subtraction to come up with xxxx-yyy and consider that as my "seen only" list if you want to compare it to your seen-only list or to anyone else's seen-only list.

So, I've made "full disclosure" and you can do whatever you want with this information.

Just imagine if "SOME HIGHER AUTHORITY" (!) decided you could only report a species if you saw a MALE in ALTERNATE PLUMAGE. Females, immatures, basic-plumage males, juveniles, etc. would not "count" on your list. You probably would not like that. However, you could report your life list by gender if you kept careful enough notes--although I'm not sure how you would report adults of species that were not sexually dimorphic.

Or what if you couldn't count anything unless you PERSONALLY had a digital photo of it?

I guess I don't know what your concern really is?

Besides, these days, it is "birding" and neither "birdwatching" nor "birdlistening" alone.

Who is to say that the visual sensory mode should have priority over the auditory one?

And consider the case with certain pairs of species, (e.g., Couch's and Tropical Kingbird, Empidonax flycatchers) where even most experts are not willing to make an identification without hearing the call of the species. So, in those cases, call is the vital clue.

Now, having said all that, I am constantly trying to change any heard-only lifers into seen lifers. There is no doubt more satisfaction in seeing a bird than just hearing it. On my recent trip to Southern Mexico, I was able to do that for Green Shrike-Vireo, and I was very pleased to finally see the bird. I will even admit, whenever possible, that I prefer to see a brightly plumaged male in alternate plumage instead of a dull female or a streaked and non-descript immature.

One final note--the American Birding Association, to whom I "report" my life list totals, allows heard-only birds with a provision that you can report seen birds (and they will duly note it).

Peter

PBono not wanting to stir things up but how can you add 176 birds to your list as heard only ? Surely it's birdwatching and not birdlistening ? I reiterate not looking for an arguement but honestly can not understand how you can tick a bird on call. Call me old fashioned but I really don't get it...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back