• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea eagles sweden. (1 Viewer)

wyoming

Can anyone help me find the sea eagles roosting with cormorants which I found 8 years ago. I cannot remember the name of the place. TThought it started with 'E' and had a 'K' in it. They didn't t seem bothered by commercial speed boats and one day there were 7 overhead. Going out on my canoe would guarantee bumping into one sitting on a rock.

Can you be more specific. North, South, East or West Sweden? It is quite a big country!
Yes. Sorry. It was the east coast. I explored the coast over a 2month period and think it would have been between Hudiksvall ( excluding Jungfraukusten) and Vastervik ( excluding immediate Stockholm archipelago). Huge area I know! When I get back I may guesstimate from order of photos. But I m here now so infuriating. I think it was to the south although I believe there is a cormorant colony at Sandarne.

I know. It was their close association with the cormorant colony and living apparently unconcerned next to tourist speed boat business that I hoped might have sparked some recognition due to it s unusualness. But thanks.

Places beginning with E are relatively uncommon in Sweden. Might I suggest something like Ekholm(en) or possibly Ekvik? Both are plausible place names.

I went through the index of my Swedish road atlas and the following are possibles on the East coast of Mid and Southern Sweden.
Edsbruk, Edsvik, Egelsvik, Ekenäset, Ekerum, near Kalmar, Ekerum (North of Oskarshamn), Eknås, near Stockholm, Ekudden (North of Västervok), Ekö, Emmekalv.
There are no doubt some other places!
Good luck.

Erkerum definitely rings a bell. Also if I can remember which vehicle I was in on that particular trip l ll know if it was definitely south of stockholm or not, as one trip I went over to finland from there. That s brilliant. Thank you .
I ll let you know. I m driving over from Norway tomorrow.

GOT IT!!
Just before the tiny hamlet of Ekö (not even on the map) on an island opposite (or part of) the Nedre Lagnö nature reserve on the St Anna archipelago, near Soderkoping. There is probably a better viewing place at nearby beach.
Can t believe it. The cormorants are still there, having destroyed all the pines. Reserve cafe lady said the eagles have left as too cold (but it s been hot until this week) but I saw three flying over about 3pm and 2 roosting with the cormorants at 6pm. Thank you for your help. I ll be down again tomorrow weather permitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back