• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seahouses birding (1 Viewer)

Ronayne88

Seán Ronayne
Hi all,

Will be spending some time in Seahouses over the next while but will be limited to birding by foot. Is holy island a long walk from there? Any nearby sites worth checking? Any general gen at all much appreciated.

Cheers.
Sean

Hi Sean

Seahouses - Holy Island is ~20miles.

Good sites close to seahouses; Seahouses harbour, Harkess Rocks (Bamburgh), Budle Bay, Beadnell, Long Nanny, Low Newton. If you want detailed directions (although you'll find all of them by walking either north or south from Seahouses) PM me.

cheers
martin

Hi Sean

Seahouses - Holy Island is ~20miles.

Good sites close to seahouses; Seahouses harbour, Harkess Rocks (Bamburgh), Budle Bay, Beadnell, Long Nanny, Low Newton. If you want detailed directions (although you'll find all of them by walking either north or south from Seahouses) PM me.

cheers
martin

Not to mention the Farne Islands... ok not strictly by foot but the quay at Seahouses harbour shouldn't be a problem!

Being from ireland which has a much lower biodiversity bird wise and otherwise i will be particularly interested in seeinf our "missing species". I assume the woodepeckers, nuthatch, marsh or willow tits, pied fly, redstart, tawny owl etc will be within my reach (amongst others?)

Within walking distance of Seahouses - Tawny Owl, GSW, Nuthatch, Marsh Tit. LSW to all intents and purposes is absent from Northumberland, GW has a patchy distribution, Pied Fly and Redstart are inland/upland specialities, Willow Tit getting more and more difficult.

cheers
martin

Being from ireland which has a much lower biodiversity bird wise and otherwise i will be particularly interested in seeinf our "missing species". I assume the woodepeckers, nuthatch, marsh or willow tits, pied fly, redstart, tawny owl etc will be within my reach (amongst others?)

Hi,

From Seahouses you can get a public bus to Waren Mill where Spindlestone is a short walk away, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker (scarce) Nuthatch, Willow Tit and Tawny Owl can all be found with luck in the area. Redstart is also an occassional breeder.

Good luck.

St Marys island today. still cold and not very springlike. SP RT diver on the sea, Wheatear and Whimbrel on the shoreline, surprise was a Glaucous Gull briefly on the point, before flying off on a rising tide.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back