• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura Tips for April (2 Viewers)

pprest00

Canada
Hi all, I am planning to visit Fuertebentura at the beginning of April and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for traveling around the island. Is it possible to get to birding spots without a car? Is it easy to get around without speaking Spanish? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also any tips for finding the endemics and endemic subspecies are welcome!
Cheers!

I've done Lanzarote and tenerife without a car recently, not specifically fuerteventura but probably quite similar.

Getting around without spanish in the canaries is very easy both as far as communicating and using public transport. I'm quite interested in the birding without a car aspect myself as I need the stonechat and have been considering it recently. I wouldn't think the houbara are really easily doable without one, I hired a guide for a day on Lanzarote to get the desert birds.

I've done Lanzarote and tenerife without a car recently, not specifically fuerteventura but probably quite similar.

Getting around without spanish in the canaries is very easy both as far as communicating and using public transport. I'm quite interested in the birding without a car aspect myself as I need the stonechat and have been considering it recently. I wouldn't think the houbara are really easily doable without one, I hired a guide for a day on Lanzarote to get the desert birds.
Depending how keen one is, you can walk to a/the canyon with the stonechat from the airport

Depending how keen one is, you can walk to a/the canyon with the stonechat from the airport
yeah i thought i'd seen reports on here of people getting the stonechat on foot. That barbary ground squirrel and the sandgrouse would be my targets.

yeah i thought i'd seen reports on here of people getting the stonechat on foot. That barbary ground squirrel and the sandgrouse would be my targets.
Ground squirrel's introduced, of course. One possibility for sand grouse would be tindaya---looks like there's a bus. You can probably find them near el cotillo too. The area between the 2 is good for houbara

Ground squirrel's introduced, of course. One possibility for sand grouse would be tindaya---looks like there's a bus. You can probably find them near el cotillo too. The area between the 2 is good for houbara

Thank you. Have been thinking about it as a family holiday destination. Would be nice to see houbara again but I have seen it

Hi all, I am planning to visit Fuertebentura at the beginning of April and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for traveling around the island. Is it possible to get to birding spots without a car? Is it easy to get around without speaking Spanish? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also any tips for finding the endemics and endemic subspecies are welcome!
Cheers!

Getting to the key birding spots (e.g Tindaya Plains, Los Molinos) in Fuerteventura without a car is very difficult. It is a large island, similar to Tenerife but with a much smaller population and limited public transport. Many of the places that you would wish to visit are on tracks rather than made up roads. A lack of Spanish shouldn't be a problem but having a smattering certainly helps.

There is a very useful Crossbill Guide to Fuerteventura and Lanzarote which focusses on wildlife, including a number of detailed maps and offers advice on getting around; the basic message is that you need to drive. I am going there myself in January and, despite visiting previously, found this guide to be most helpful.

This website may be of some use: Birdingplaces |The free online guide to birding!

The stonechat can be seen in the Barranco del Torre which is accessible on foot from Salinas del Carmen. There is a regular bus from Caleta de Fuste to Salinas. The Barranco is over a small hill. The chats were quite a way up near the quarry. There are also Egyptian Vultures nesting in the Barranco, and if they are breeding the path is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back