• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching for my first scope, will send karma points to those who helps. (1 Viewer)

While you're at it, consider adding the 18mm SV190 or the 23mm 62degree aspheric eyepiece. I use the 18mm more than the zoom eyepiece
Thats interesting. I was looking at the 18mm recently

Do you find much of a difference in the image between it and the 20-60 zoom at 24x?

Yes its a very big difference.

At lower magnifications the zoom has a narrow apparent angle of view so its like looking through a tube. The fixed mag eyepiece has a much wider apparent angle of view making the view more immersive, comfortable and easier to scan with. Also longer eye relief so easier to view with spectacles on.

Unless I really need the higher magnification for an ID or distant birds, I will use the 18mm UFF for most of my birding.

Phonescoping is easier with the zoom eyepiece though, as the eyecup is rigid and adjustable.

Yes its a very big difference.

At lower magnifications the zoom has a narrow apparent angle of view so its like looking through a tube. The fixed mag eyepiece has a much wider apparent angle of view making the view more immersive, comfortable and easier to scan with. Also longer eye relief so easier to view with spectacles on.

Unless I really need the higher magnification for an ID or distant birds, I will use the 18mm UFF for most of my birding.

Phonescoping is easier with the zoom eyepiece though, as the eyecup is rigid and adjustable.
Excellent. Thanks for the really useful info!

I replaced the zoom with a fixed eyepiece on my previous scope and found that I spent more time enjoying the view rather than constantly trying to find the sweet spot on the zoom.

Looks like I will be ordering the 18mm UFF.

There's also a 10mm version of the UFF but not that big a difference from the zoom at that magnification setting.
For me, I think that somewhere around the 25x mark gives decent reach while keeping the image enjoyable bright.

The 18mm gives 24x on the Sv406p if I'm calculating correctly so that looks like a good option for me to try.

For me, I think that somewhere around the 25x mark gives decent reach while keeping the image enjoyable bright.

The 18mm gives 24x on the Sv406p if I'm calculating correctly so that looks like a good option for me to try.
You'll enjoy the 18mm for sure!

A small tip, the 18mm's rubber eyecup came off in use a couple of times, so i used a cable tie to keep it held on more firmly.

I prefer using a 15mm Celestron #82001 eyepiece giving me about 29x magnification on the SV406p. Still very bright with a 2.8mm exit pupil.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back