• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus) from Spain, ringed in Britain. (1 Viewer)

This is a bird which was ringed on the south coast of England during autumn migration in 2006. Full details will obviously follow once this is reported 'officially' via the Spanish Ringing Scheme.

Nice capture though, as we have less than 100 records of British Sedge Warblers being found in Spain. Keep netting!

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

If this is a picture of the Sedge Warbler in question, somebody in S. England may have boobed. It looks rather like an eastern Moustached Warbler A. melanopogon mimica!

If I'm counting the primaries correctly, it's just that the bird has a badly held wing and the photo is strangely tinted.

Last edited:
It looks fine to me John. One of the other photos isn't so dark:
http://www.anillamiento.net/guia/details.php?image_id=2501
and the photo of the wing looks fine:
http://www.anillamiento.net/guia/details.php?image_id=2500

A Moustached would show emarginations of P3, P4 and P5, whereas this bird just has an emargination on P3. The wing also isn't as blunt as you might expect on a Moustached. P2 on a Moustached should equal P7 to P9, equal to P3 or P4 on a Sedge.

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Oh, and Moustached Warblers (adults and juveniles) have a complete (pre-migratory) moult in the autumn, so a bird in this state of wear is almost certainly a Sedge.

Mark G

It looks fine to me John. One of the other photos isn't so dark:
http://www.anillamiento.net/guia/details.php?image_id=2501
and the photo of the wing looks fine:
http://www.anillamiento.net/guia/details.php?image_id=2500

A Moustached would show emarginations of P3, P4 and P5, whereas this bird just has an emargination on P3. The wing also isn't as blunt as you might expect on a Moustached. P2 on a Moustached should equal P7 to P9, equal to P3 or P4 on a Sedge.

I'm sure you're right. But your screen resolution must be far superior to mine as I can't make out any emarginations or exact wing point on the small photos, one of which does look like a standard autumn adult ACRSCH. What I thought I could see, but it may be illusory, is at least two emarginated Pps on a very short-looking wing in the big photo. As I said in my "reason for edit" - I had a little think about it! The guys in Spain must handle loads of ACRMEL and A. m. mimica is not that different to nominate. So they wouldn't have overlooked it.

Addition:
I see I missed a link somewhere that shows the full wing. Certainly is no sign of rounding or emargination in that picture

Last edited:
Thanks Mark!!!! ....and John

We are netting!!!

The Project LaBORINg is open. All birds in hand (ringing) photos can contribute this project.

Regards

This might help also, both trapped last year around this time and makes for a nice comparison.
Regards Jules

Attachments

• Moustached & Sedge Warblers 1.jpg
    Moustached & Sedge Warblers 1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 167
Thanks Jules

Your photo is perfect to compare (in this time, last days of the summer...) Adult (up), used and old feathers and juvenile (down) fresh feathers.

You and your photos are wwellcomen to LaBORINg Project

Your photo is perfect to compare (in this time, last days of the summer...) Adult (up), used and old feathers and juvenile (down) fresh feathers.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but while the ACRMEL is definitely a juvenile, it strikes me that the ACRSCH looks first calendar year too! The primaries seem chipped when I blow up the picture, but the head is very clean. Pity about the mussed up fringes from the net.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back