• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Motacilla Help required (from Albacete, SE Spain) (1 Viewer)

Now I may be a little out of my depth here, but I'll give it a go just for a laugh! I would favour flava over citreola for three main reasons.

1) Distinctly dark lores; don't Citrine usually have rather indistinct smudgy pale sort of lores?

2) Lack of pale surround to ear coverts.

3) Yellow tinge around the undertail; again isn't Citrine usually pure white?

Going largely by failing memory here so could be well out of court, but it's a start at least! As to which flava, I aint so foolhardy as to attempt that!

James

As James say´s dark lores and rather uniform dark ear-coverts, dark fore-head, paler lower mandible base, supercilium not surrounding rear ear-coverts, narrower tips to median & greater coverts and yellowish undertail coverts and some elsewhere in plumage exclude Citrine. Perhaps a minor suggestion is what looks like a less distinct emargination of p5 - which if true favours flava.
So - excluding the grayish rump - flava (ssp?) is the option

JanJ

Flava here too for all the reasons given above - I've seen a few similar birds in the UK and the concensus was that they were all flava,

John

Thanks

Many other flava were ringed in these day, only N664287 wagtail is different,

Probably is a juvenile Motacilla flava flavissima, a bit special.....

In cases like it, some ringers (like this ringer) prefer show your ringed bird.... so all can learning

I would imagen that ringers who have handled the subject bird have some knowledge of Citrine contra flava characters (no offence). Just curious what made you ask the question? Was it the grey rump? I just noticed in the last image (9) there´s a hint of a pale surrounding at the rear earcoverts - and some juv./1st winter Citrine doesn´t have such an obvious pale surrounding (I´m not suggesting otherwise than flava here, just smalltalk).

http://galleryofbirds.com/scillies2002/citrine.html

JanJ

Exactly JanJ!!!!

The head pattern is typical flava but the other characters......

Thanks for the Sant Mantin´s Photos Cetrine juvenil wagtail.

In this bird is more easy identify one photo that identify the bird in the hand!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back