• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sedge Warbler reported at Staines Moor today! (1 Viewer)

It does seem exceptionally early & I wonder if it's as likely to be a bird that's successfully over-wintered nearby (Staines Moor has been exceptionally well watched this winter with its plethora of Short-eared Owls) as a recent migrant?

A Sedge Warbler reported at Slimbridge WWT on Friday and Saturday turned out to be a Cetti's Warbler.

The Staines Moor bird was reported as photographed so hopefully can be verified but yes, it feels very early.

One was also reported signing yesterday at Seven Sisters Country Park in Sussex.

Last edited:
During our 10k walk ystrdy. we were about to cross the main rd.(on a hill) at c1.30pm (sunny and warm at this point) when I heard a sub song emanating from a dense front grdn.hedge, which was broken up by traffic noise, indeed this was what made me cross the road.

It certainly wasn’t one that I recognised, albeit fragmented by traffic, I could rule out all the regulars, however to my ear it had an Acro ring to it being a tad scratchy, I wondered about Sedge but dismissed it out of hand on date and location.
Yes, after we crossed over, it ceased to sing!
Then reading the above report I did wonder…😮

Last year we had a Sedge Warbler turn up on our patch in Bristol on Nov 11th. This was about a month later than the previous latest date for Avon. Maybe things are changing with this species.

I've been on Staines Moor four times this winter after Water Pipits and Short-eared Owls and haven't seen or heard a Sedge Warbler in my travels (wintering Chiffchaffs and Cetti's Warblers every time though). My most recent visit was Friday, I walked the full length from Hithermoor Road to the A30 along the River Colne and there was no Sedge Warbler singing. I tend to think its a new arrival.

John

I've been on Staines Moor four times this winter after Water Pipits and Short-eared Owls and haven't seen or heard a Sedge Warbler in my travels (wintering Chiffchaffs and Cetti's Warblers every time though). My most recent visit was Friday, I walked the full length from Hithermoor Road to the A30 along the River Colne and there was no Sedge Warbler singing. I tend to think its a new arrival.

John

Also date & weather suggest fresh arrival?

A check of eBird threw up a December record at Marazion in 1996. One record in the Winter Atlas but no date. I suppose that you would expect increased occurrences. Anything in Birdtrack or similar?

All the best

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back