• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking your feedback on our project on birdwatching in Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

nhatp1119

United States
Hi everyone,

I am a graduate data science student and a beginner birder based in Massachusetts. Recently I posted on birdforum to ask for advice on an eBird data analysis prohect I worked on as part of my coursework. Thank you very much for your replies, and I'd like to share with you a simple tool my teammates and I created: a dashboard to provide beginner birders with simple suggestions of optimal times and locations to observe their species of interest in MA.

The dashboard is publicly accessible on Tableau Public - feel free to view it here:
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/nhat.pham5285/viz/dashboard_0213_all/MainDashboard

For the best experience, please click the "Full screen" option in the bottom right. If the interface is not very intuitive, helpful guidance is available under the "How to use dashboard" tab or through a brief video demonstration:

The dashboard is more a passion project and learning experience to me than an innovative product, since I am aware of existing advanced and user-friendly platforms for birders. Given the time, data, computational, and skill constraints, there were several ideas we could not pursue but would like to in the future.

We would greatly value your feedback on its current utility and suggestions for improvement. Feel free to leave your comments below or through this anonymous Google form: Enhancing birdwatching experience in Massachusetts

Methodology overview:
  • We developed predictive models using eBird data from 2013-2022 to forecast weekly bird detection rates by county for 2023 and 2024
  • Data from 2021 and 2022 were analyzed to illustrate past detection rates at various times and hotspots

Feel free to let me know any questions. Thank you in advance for your time!

Screenshot (8).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back