• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

Not a bad night for me last night, in fact very good for my Heath Robinson “set up”. 21 of 14.
Highlights-a presumed Dusky Thorn (f.perfuscata), Centre-Barred Sallow,
Pine Carpet, L-album Wainscott and a Cypress Pug + a Hawkmoth species that “broke out of jail” in the half light, before I could get to it!😩

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8142.jpeg
    IMG_8142.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8154.jpeg
    IMG_8154.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8153.jpeg
    IMG_8153.jpeg
    677.5 KB · Views: 6
Up until yesterday I was enjoying a string of 100+ catches, unusual here. Nothing mega but a Rusty-dot Pearl on the 9th was the first I have had locally (Cornwall and Jersey previously).
My latest NFY was 'Double-striped Tabby' on the 15th.
Several people round here have caught Clifden Nonpareil recently but it has avoided my trap yet again.

Some of the catch from my local nature reserve at Maple Cross on Saturday.The Clifden Nonpareil was one of two from the traps and i just managed a shot ,before it took off .
1-Clifden Nonpareil
2-Plutella porrectella
3-Centre-barred Sallow
4-Burnished Brass
5-Lunar Underwing

Attachments

• 0Z2A5409.jpg
    0Z2A5409.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 0Z2A5386.jpg
    0Z2A5386.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0Z2A5288.jpg
    0Z2A5288.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 0Z2A5271.jpg
    0Z2A5271.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 0Z2A5120.jpg
    0Z2A5120.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 11
With thunderstorms forecast overnight lighting up “the pot” was a no no!
However the wall mounted Halogen brought me a few bits before bed, 9 of 12 to include Set.Hebrew, Red-green Carpet, Brindled Green and Double-striped Tabby.

Attachments

• IMG_8188.jpeg
    IMG_8188.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8172.jpeg
    IMG_8172.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8190.jpeg
    IMG_8190.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 6
Relatively cool Friday night, but still fairly decent numbers (albeit mainly Rustics).

Fourteen Clancy's Rustics, Eleven Square Spot Rustics, Two Flounced Rustics

Additionally three Lunar Underwings - a first for me, and all being very different colours gave momentary confusion, One Garden Carpet, One Marbled Carbet, One Willow Beauty, One Large Yellow Underwing, One Ruddy Streak, One Shuttle-Shaped and some kind of pug that escaped. Oh and lots of Caddis flies.

My numbers have dropped right off but a Feathered Thorn yesterday was only my 5th ever and the earliest by a whopping 21 days.

Just 2 Clancy's Rustic, 2 Square-spot, 1 Willow Beauty and a Deep Brown Dart (new for me) from last night. I've not set the trap two nights in a row before to avoid recatches but think I'll try again tonight in a different area of the garden.

Just 2 Clancy's Rustic, 2 Square-spot, 1 Willow Beauty and a Deep Brown Dart (new for me) from last night. I've not set the trap two nights in a row before to avoid recatches but think I'll try again tonight in a different area of the garden.
It's interesting when you do that to see how many are obvious (or probable) recatches ...

(I always used to release the moths in vegetation in the front garden in the hope they would fly off in the other direction towards the street lights etc. Some did, but .... )

Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the garden where I was working at c9am this morning on Red Valerian. I feel a bit bad because it is the sole remaining bit of Red Valerian on the wall I'm working on, and even that bit will have to go soon ...

Setting my trap up last night I found that I had somehow overlooked a moth on Wednesday, still alive and well in the trap. It turned out to be a Large Wainscot, my first ever !
Then when I checked the trap this morning there were just nine moths of six species but one was a Least Carpet - my first English record after one in Jersey 19 years ago. So two very welcome additions to my garden list.

For the last night of September (or is it the first morning of October?):

1 Lunar Underwing
1 Feathered Ranuculus
1 Double Striped Pug
1 Square Spot Rustic
2 Box Tree

Elachista stabilella was the highlight of Friday night's trapping at Horsea Island, near Portsmouth. A very scarce moth in Hampshire with virtually all records coming from Portsea Island.

Dave W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back