• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several ID questions, Greece (no photos) (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
EDIT: The title says "No Photos", but I forgot that I had one. However, it is not good quality at all, so the thread title may as well say "No Photos" . :)

Hello all,

I took a trip to Greece during late May and early June of this year. Thanks to my Collins guide, I did not have too much trouble with most bird IDs, but I do have a few questions. Unfortunately I do not have a good quality camera so I do not have many photos at all. It was a real adventure photographing swifts with a simple Canon PowerShot Elph camera through my 10 X 40 binoculars!

This post deals with all ID questions in Athens and Copenhagen (layovers here). I will add another post with village birds and others.

In Athens one morning, two birds flew by that I am reasonably sure were Ring-necked Parakeets. They were decidedly green-looking and had very long tails. The Collins guide lists these as being in Athens, but no similar species. Is there anything I could have confused these with?

Also in Athens, I was puzzled a bit by the kestrels. I saw at least one or two by the Parthenon that gave Common Kestrel calls, so I believe those were Common. A sign there suggested the same. However, on a few occasions I observed a kestrel over the city itself. I think one was carrying food, one was flying low over the buildings, and a pair flew over the city and eventually flew down into the city. Is it reasonable to assume these were Lesser Kestrels on habitat alone? I was unable to see plumage details and none vocalized. Collins (2nd edition) lists Common Kestrel as a bird of open country, while listing Lesser as a bird occurring in towns.

There were many swifts over Athens. It was a mix of Common/Pallid and Alpine. I did not try hard to distinguish between Common and Pallid, as Collins seemed to imply that they are extremely difficult to tell apart. Collins also seemed to imply that they have similar calls and both live in towns. I will try to attach a picture of one, but it is not good at all. Could there have been a mix of both species in Athens, or is there no way for me to tell now?

Finally, I took a ferry ride to the island of Aegina. I was treated to Yelkouan Shearwaters and what I assumed to be Cory's Shearwaters (Scopoli's subspecies). Have Cory's and Scopoli's officially been split?

Copenhagen:

There were decent numbers of corvids at the airport. I wonder if I may have overlooked Carrion Crow, but I was able to confirm Hooded Crow. I think I saw two or three Jackdaws, but I'm not sure. They were viewed at a distance through airport windows (!), so no plumage details observed. One red flag I had was seeing Hooded Crows and thinking they might be smaller than they were (a result of distance). However, these possible Jackdaws seemed to have faster wingbeats than the other corvids. Also, I observed one that looked like it was alongside a Black-headed Gull, and the gull seemed about the same size as this bird. Again, though, they were distant so I can't confirm that they were both the same distance away from me. Is this information inconclusive, or does it point definitively to Jackdaw? I have the feeling that Jackdaw should best be kept off my list of life birds from the trip, as they were just too far away to see much about them.

Also, a cormorant flew by. I remember it looked large and bulky with a thick, kinked neck. Is there any possible confusion with European Shag or does that sound like a textbook Great Cormorant?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 8.02.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 8.02.56 PM.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Copenhagen:

There were decent numbers of corvids at the airport. I wonder if I may have overlooked Carrion Crow, but I was able to confirm Hooded Crow.
Hooded Crow is the default option in Denmark. Carrion is not impossible, but any black crows up there are most likely to be Rook, Jackdaw, or Raven, depending on size.

I think I saw two or three Jackdaws, but I'm not sure. They were viewed at a distance through airport windows (!), so no plumage details observed. One red flag I had was seeing Hooded Crows and thinking they might be smaller than they were (a result of distance). However, these possible Jackdaws seemed to have faster wingbeats than the other corvids. Also, I observed one that looked like it was alongside a Black-headed Gull, and the gull seemed about the same size as this bird. Again, though, they were distant so I can't confirm that they were both the same distance away from me. Is this information inconclusive, or does it point definitively to Jackdaw? I have the feeling that Jackdaw should best be kept off my list of life birds from the trip, as they were just too far away to see much about them.
Fast wingbeats are indeed a good way to separate Jackdaw from larger crows. Jackdaws also appear a bit more pigeon-like in flight.

Also, a cormorant flew by. I remember it looked large and bulky with a thick, kinked neck. Is there any possible confusion with European Shag or does that sound like a textbook Great Cormorant?
Difficult to say without picture, but Great Cormorant is definitely more common in that region.

I saw a Shearwater in the Aegean back in June 2008, which I marked as Cory's, and later uploaded to eBird. However, looking back at my checklist, I see the only options are Cory's and Yelkouan. Does eBird not recognize Scopoli's as a separate species?

In Athens one morning, two birds flew by that I am reasonably sure were Ring-necked Parakeets. They were decidedly green-looking and had very long tails. The Collins guide lists these as being in Athens, but no similar species. Is there anything I could have confused these with?
In Mediterranean Spain the default species seems to be Monk Parakeet. I don't know how common they are in Greece, but they are certainly present in Athens. They have quite long tails, but not as long as those of Ring-necked Parakeets.

In Mediterranean Spain the default species seems to be Monk Parakeet. I don't know how common they are in Greece, but they are certainly present in Athens. They have quite long tails, but not as long as those of Ring-necked Parakeets.

There is definitely a large, noisy, and noticeable Ring-necked population in the National Gardens, that would be my guess.

Thanks all. I would lean towards Ring-necked as the tail length surprised me and I think I would have seen the gray on a Monk Parakeet.

Hooded Crow is the default option in Denmark. Carrion is not impossible, but any black crows up there are most likely to be Rook, Jackdaw, or Raven, depending on size.

Fast wingbeats are indeed a good way to separate Jackdaw from larger crows. Jackdaws also appear a bit more pigeon-like in flight.

Difficult to say without picture, but Great Cormorant is definitely more common in that region.

Well... Carrion Crow is sourthern jutland and is scarce in Funen and also exists in a few places on Sjælland

Well... Carrion Crow is sourthern jutland and is scarce in Funen and also exists in a few places on Sjælland

And many more hybrids in most of those areas.

Regarding Shag, it was very rare when I still lived in DK. I have not heard anything to say that has changed

Niels

The question is, as what do you count these hybrids? Unless you don't follow the split between Carrion and Hooded Crows in your list, of course.
Without pictures, it's kind of hard to rule them out anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back