• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Severn Barrage (1 Viewer)

Gus Horsley

Back in April (I think it was) there was renewed interest in the construction of a barrage stretching from near Cardiff to Brean Down in Somerset. I haven't heard anything for a while. Could anyone update me as to what the current situation is?

Gus

I have been given a pile of 30+ yr old 'Birds' magazines to read recently and there is an article that a proposed Severn estuary barrage should be opposed by the RSPB. I assume that bird patterns of behavior and the process of silting up has not changed in them 30 years?

Reay_Bonxie said:
I have been given a pile of 30+ yr old 'Birds' magazines to read recently and there is an article that a proposed Severn estuary barrage should be opposed by the RSPB. I assume that bird patterns of behavior and the process of silting up has not changed in them 30 years?

From what I can gather, the proposal to build a ten mile long barrage, stretching from Cardiff to Weston super Mare, would have an undoubtedly disastrous effect on wildlife. It would also lead to renewed pressure to reopen quarries in the Mendips and Brecon Beacons for the estimated 100 million tons of limestone required to build it.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back