• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seychelles - 08 Sept - Crossing between La Digue and Mahé (1 Viewer)

P_Cas

Hi all,

Ferry crossing between La Digue and Mahé, rough sea and bad light: poor photos.

Birds 1&2- 2 birds together - don´t know if the photos are of one or both birds
3T1A8199.jpg
3T1A8200.jpg3T1A8225.jpg3T1A8227.jpg3T1A8228.jpg3T1A8231.jpg

Bird 3 - about 15 minutes and some miles latter
3T1A8395.jpg3T1A8398.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Paulo

Perhaps roseate for birds 1 and 2? Struggle to know what else there might be with that bill colour.

Perhaps gull-billed for 3

Hi again,

Thanks for the help.

Bird 1&2: Sterna hirundo has red bill and feet but this birds seem whiter.

Bird 3: I didn't consider gull-billed because it is not that common in seychelles. It has only a handful of observations in ebird. I though Sterna sumatrana but the tail seems wrong for it.

Hi again,

Thanks for the help.

Bird 1&2: Sterna hirundo has red bill and feet but this birds seem whiter
I thought your bird elongated, very pale with the long, orangy coloured bill I associate with some roseates. On the other hand tail seems quite short. But happy to be proved wrong.

Bird 3 isn't a Sandwich Tern? Seemed to see indication of a pale tip to bill but v distorted by pixel artefacts.

They look like Crested Terns, bill colour of first two suggests Great Crested as it looks yellowy on my screen, and the later ones look orange and could fit Lesser Cresterd Tern, with Brown Noddy alongside

They look like Crested Terns, bill colour of first two suggests Great Crested as it looks yellowy on my screen, and the later ones look orange and could fit Lesser Cresterd Tern, with Brown Noddy alongside
Don't think can be either. Lesser should have much darker back than we see here, greater slightly. For me on two monitors, the first 2 birds have a bill roughly the same colour as lesser, but with a much paler back (hence my initial comment: I don't see a difference in bill colour between first 2 birds)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back