• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai transit visa trip. (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm considering a trip to Shanghai to make use of the transit visa programme, which I see now allows a stay of up to six days with visits to two neighbouring provinces, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. Shanghai would be interesting to see in itself, and there seem to be good coastal birding sites in the area too. Of course, you have to go somewhere else, or you are not in transit, and I was thinking of flying to Fukuoka to head to Arasaki for the cranes. So that means a winter trip.

Has anyone else considered this, or tried something along these lines?

I haven't tried it but I saw in last weeks Saturday Times the travel journalist did a break in Shanghai and then went on the Tokyo, flights were much cheaper than direct from UK and a couple of friend are now investigating this option for a trip to Japan in February 24.

I haven't tried it but I saw in last weeks Saturday Times the travel journalist did a break in Shanghai and then went on the Tokyo, flights were much cheaper than direct from UK and a couple of friend are now investigating this option for a trip to Japan in February 24.
Thanks. Probably both Arasaki and Hokkaido are worthwhile in winter. Send your friends my way if they're looking to make up the numbers.

Thanks. Probably both Arasaki and Hokkaido are worthwhile in winter. Send your friends my way if they're looking to make up the numbers.
They are looking at Hokkaido for the ice sculptures then some birding on the east coast but will do fly and then self drive I think

i am a birder watcher and living in shanghai
i think your trip will be interesting
Do you already have some plans for where you want to go around shanghai

i am a birder watcher and living in shanghai
i think your trip will be interesting
Do you already have some plans for where you want to go around shanghai
Thanks birdingWX. I'm thinking of arriving at 00:30 on 13th December and leaving (for Vietnam) at 23:00 on 17th. I believe that the transit visa allows me to visit Jiangsu and Zhejiang as well as Shanghai. I think I'd make a trip to Yancheng Nature Reserve. And I'd like to see Shanghai too.

So far as I can tell, there's no formality with getting this transit visa? You just pitch up in Shanghai and show them that you have an onward flight within 144 hours, and they let you in?

Thanks birdingWX. I'm thinking of arriving at 00:30 on 13th December and leaving (for Vietnam) at 23:00 on 17th. I believe that the transit visa allows me to visit Jiangsu and Zhejiang as well as Shanghai. I think I'd make a trip to Yancheng Nature Reserve. And I'd like to see Shanghai too.
If you're planning to go birdwatching in Shanghai, maybe I can accompany you for a day. Yancheng is a bird spot I am very familiar with, and I will write you a guide when I am free this weekend

Official Chinese site says does have to be an interline ticket with a confirmed seat number, rather than any connecting flight.

Doesn't seem to be any official site that says otherwise, but some travellers suggest that an interline specifically is not required, just a connecting flight with confirmed seat number.

If the official policy is interline, I see here potential risk of going with a simple connecting flight in two areas:
a. individual immigration officers may apply the rule or not. And if they do, you're stuffed.
b. check in/boarding staff at your departure airport in the UK or wherever may refuse you boarding if you are not holding correct documentation (in this case an interline ticket). Carriers are liable to return you if entry refused and they don't want this risk too.

If you decide to risk it (and probably I would too if I already had flight tickets), as an absolute minimum I would make sure you have checked in for the second flight to be able to show confirmed seat number etc

Thanks for looking into it. I suppose you can book a multi-city ticket online and that will be interline. But still, with a gap of up to six days, will you be able to get a confirmed seat number that far in advance?

Thanks for looking into it. I suppose you can book a multi-city ticket online and that will be interline. But still, with a gap of up to six days, will you be able to get a confirmed seat number that far in advance?
All airlines (or at least the majority, even the budget airlines) allow you to book a seat in advance of check-in, eg at time of ticket purchase. Only problem is that most charge you additional for this if you're travelling economy, a minority allowing it for free.

I'm wrong. Multi-city tickets are not necessarily interline. Websites often tell you that you will be issued separate tickets when you come to book.

Another issue is that I doubt that it would work if you had a flight to Shanghai which was via Beijing, which I see that a lot of Air China flights are.
  • 1. Foreigners transiting via Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Train Station, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal, Nanjing Lukou International Airport and Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport may choose any of the above ports for entry or exit, and have visa-free stay for 144 hours within the administrative areas of Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province.

If you fly to Shanghai via Beijing you will most likely be considered to have entered at Beijing, which is not one of the ports you can enter by for the 144 hours stay in Shanghai. Starting to wonder if this is worth the hassle.

Edit: Similar problem for departure as well, I suppose.

Edit 2: They have an online system where you can preapply for your transit visa. 144过境免签. Sounded good but when I try to do so it just says "Submission failed".

Last edited:
Found a ticket with China Eastern who fly direct to Shanghai from a number of European capitals and direct to Ho Chi Minh City from Shanghai. There may be scope for someone else to join me in either China or Vietnam if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back