• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp call - El Hondo - Spain (1 Viewer)

lunitis

Hello.
Recording made today. I only caught the last call, but the bird made several in a row in relative fast sucession, giving me the impression that it could have been two birds, always the same call.
Lagoon area with reeds (and some eucalyptus).

At second 4.

Thanks.

Hello,

with the usual caveats: the recording reminded me of a Yellow Wagtail, although slightly too "piepsig"= squeaky says google and with an uprising quality. Although I heard some adults making similar alerted sounds near the nest.

And considering the late date, I searched at xeno canto for this: Eastern Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla tschutschensis) :: xeno-canto

The other species that came into my mind is a Meadow Pipit, although the call seems slightly too much "drawn out", although this is difficult to judge in a single call and the reasons, why I normally hesitate to comment with confidence with such short and high pitched calls.

And: you heard the calls in the field. Maybe you can listen to recordings in xeno canto and see if one of those two species fits? And as always I hope for more comments.

Sorry, the record wasnt from "today", i translated the message from a portuguese forum where i posted the same thing before, but forgot to change that part (someone said cettia there btw). This is from the 4th November , still a bit late for yellow wagtail in the area, but it true that the sound is very similair.
Some meadow pipits and water pipits where already arriving.
If i recall well all the calls were drawn out. Maybe they were alarm calls because they started when i was very close, but they lasted close to 10 seconds i guess (the time to pick the phone and start recording).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back