• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp-shinned/Cooper's? Monterey, CA 13 May 2023 (1 Viewer)

jmtully

United States
Bird was on our fence yesterday morning. We have 4 feeders up, have for months, and this is the first time we've had a predator come in that we've seen.
I lean towards immature Sharp-shinned (but am not sure) based on following:
-Streaks on chest appear more coarse than thin
-Head and neck seem 'stubby' rather than long
-We regularly see (large) California quail in the same spot and this didn't seem much bigger.

But: based on Sibley's Cooper's would be more likely to perch in the open like that, and I know size is a bad criteria to work off of.

My wife got a better look at it as it flew off and the tail pattern could have been either

I know that's not a lot to go on, and sadly this is the only picture I have (iPhone, through a window).

Thanks.

Attachments

• 98A4D6B3-DB12-4708-9FDF-2C5FE8A98E12_1_201_a.jpeg
    98A4D6B3-DB12-4708-9FDF-2C5FE8A98E12_1_201_a.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 39
Agree with Butty. For life-list or science (eBird?) I would not ID from this pic. It's hard enough with good views/pics.
For fun or out of curiosity, yes, head looks Sharpie. Sort of kind of maybe perhaps ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back