• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp-shinned or Coopers Hawk; Monterey, CA 03 August 2023 (1 Viewer)

jmtully

United States
Torn on this bird that was hunting at our feeders this morning: Sharp-shinned or Coopers Hawk. I'm leaning towards Sharp-shinned based on a couple of points: It looks like the terminal band on the tail is thin. Its shins look quite thin (but with nothing to compare against, I know this isn't great). And it looks like the black cap is continuing down the nape - but the head coloration is throwing me off. Is this a juvenile? Aside from the head, the bird looks like an adult. Head-size compared to body also leads me towards Sharp-shinned. Any ideas?

thanks in advance for the help,

Attachments

• D3C044AE-50D4-4B41-83E4-0015184C0056.jpeg
    11.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 41CB1DD8-F31C-4DB2-B651-0C2DD61F8B66.jpeg
    11.2 MB · Views: 34
  • F978FAA2-AB3B-4947-8645-8B3153C7A0E2.jpeg
    12.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 43BC59CF-D846-4982-94F8-220D9A91D897_1_201_a.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 29
It is often said that SSH look startled, whereas Cooper's look angry. Possibly not the most objective criterion, but you can see what is meant by it.

Agree this is SSH - tail shows barely any white and size looks good relative to the prey (Mourning or Collared Dove). Bulk of legs is always hard to judge, I find, in isolation; nape is dark-ish, but not fully. Don't know enough to speculate on age.

Cooper's hawk: note (adult) crown substantially darker than back/wings, big bill, shallow forehead.
Moulting from immature to adult (many immature brown feathers on upperparts, including tail, scapulars, secondaries, primaries, as well as lower part of head). Overall structure looks relatively slight, so I guess a male.

Agree this is SSH - tail shows barely any white and size looks good relative to the prey (Mourning or Collared Dove). Bulk of legs is always hard to judge, I find, in isolation; nape is dark-ish, but not fully. Don't know enough to speculate on age.
It looks a bit larger than the Collared Dove, which would point towards Cooper's. A female Sharp-shinned Hawk should be around the same size as a Collared Dove.
The overall thickness of the legs would be easier to gauge if there was a picture from the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back