• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shenstone (1 Viewer)

Thats gutting Jason, I was really excited when I got the planning withdrawal letter in the post last time! Lets hope for a second one! I'll add some noise for the cause again too!

Ecological/Biodiversity survey

I note this was commissioned a month or two after the previous application was thrown out .

Glancing through this, I can see no mention made of Corn Bunting, either in the records pulled from WRBC or by the surveyor who ( briefly) visited the site.Having failed to find Corn Bunting, or identify suitable habitat, he did manage to find Yellowhammer, Linnet and Skylark.

from the survey

" To confirm the abscence of all protected species usually requires multiple visits at suitable times of the year.
This report cannot therefore be considered to provide a comprehensive analysis of the ecological interests of the site
"

A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As some of you may be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Cheers
Jason

Hi Jason

Just received a notification from WFDC as I objected last time I will read the submissions and send in my objection. Worth posting on Upton Forum if you have not done so already and via Twitter

I note this was commissioned a month or two after the previous application was thrown out .

Glancing through this, I can see no mention made of Corn Bunting, either in the records pulled from WRBC or by the surveyor who ( briefly) visited the site.Having failed to find Corn Bunting, or identify suitable habitat, he did manage to find Yellowhammer, Linnet and Skylark.

from the survey

" To confirm the abscence of all protected species usually requires multiple visits at suitable times of the year.
This report cannot therefore be considered to provide a comprehensive analysis of the ecological interests of the site
"

Yes it is odd indeed...especially since I have put in all my records to WBRC for 2011 and 2012 yet the bird data only goes up to 2010 on the report. That said since 2007, I have put many sightings of Corn Bunting through to the BTO and WMBC so the information is there.

I have contacted the Wildlife Trust and they are looking into this as Corn Bunting is on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities act 2006. list of species of principle importance so it should be to be taken into account by the planners.

I am also looking into getting a more up to date species list for Shenstone from WBRC county database.

Hi Jason - how does this application differ to the previous one? :-C

Hi Phil,

The main difference inclusion of the aforementioned ecological survey by Worcestershire Nature Consultancy which basically states that the sight and adjacent areas are of no ecological value!!!! This survey/report was put together in May last year after the site owners withdrew their first application

Read above posts to fill in a few blanks

Cheers
Jase

Thanks Jason - took the time to read it in more detail. Not surprised that the Trust (or their consultancy arm) know jack.

Saturday 18th January 2014:

34+ Corn Buntings were present in the fields along Stanklyn Lane late morning (Jared T).

Unfortunately, no sign mid afternoon when I walked the fields. But 2 flocks of Linnet were present (c80. & c.50) and 7 Meadow Pipits & 2 Skylark were flushed. (Looks like plenty of Merlin fodder to me!)

At the Stone end of Stanklyn Lane, c.40 Siskin and 2 Lesser Redpolls were still present feeding in the Alders at the edge of Stanklyn Wood.

32 Skylark and c.40 Linnet were flushed whilst walking the public footpath across the field at Buts lane

Last edited:
Saturday 18th January 2014:

34+ Corn Buntings were present in the fields along Stanklyn Lane late morning (Jared T).

Unfortunately, no sign mid afternoon when I walked the fields.

Hi Jason - were you employing the same surveying skills as the Worcestershire Wildlife Consultancy? :eek!:;)

Thursday 23rd January 2014
A pair of Goosander were present on Captains Pool (Kidderminster) and flew off shortly before dusk.

Friday 24th January 2014
A 1st winter drake Goosander and a drake Pochard were present on Captains Pool this morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back