• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (4 Viewers)

You don't give a size, but if it's small [around 5-6mm] then it could be a Blue Bug [Zicrona caerulea] larva. In which case the plant species would be irrelevant as they are predators on Leaf Beetle and Lepidoptera larvae.
Cheers,
Steve.

Thanks Steve! You are spot on with the size! Sorry about missing it out! Exciting as it's a new one to me in that case!

No probs! The adults should be around too now. I usually find them around the margins of water [ponds and small lakes].

Hi Steve,

So excited as I actually found some adult blue bugs yesterday in Shropshire! After you saying that they should be about now, I was frustrated as I was no longer in Cornwall and thought I might not see any!
Here's a couple of pics I took yesterday:

Attachments

• PA044526a.jpg
    PA044526a.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 77
  • PA044518a.jpg
    PA044518a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 56
Nice one! I haven't seen any this autumn yet - although I did see some adults back in the Spring [seems a long time ago now...]

Found these instars on Alder (I think!)!
Have noticed that quite a few species have red instars so not sure! Anyone have an idea please?
Thank you! |=)|
Hello. I'm sure it's a Troilus luridus nymph.
Zicrona's nymph has tergum skin very red.
Please, take a look at these links:
Troilus luridus
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/troilus_luridus.html
Zicrona caerulea
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/zicrona_caerulea.html

Ciao!!

Thanks Ficedula and Harry Eales for the response. Actually I post for any possible help, if not possible then it's ok. I know that the identification of bugs is not an easy task.
Anyhow once again thanks for the guidance.
Hello! These couple are Gonocerus sp. I don't know what species are in Swabi but I think it may be next to Gonocerus insidiator which is typical of european temperate environments.

I was surprised to beat 2 adult Box Bugs from Oak trees at the Northern edge of Basidon in Essex last week, I was wondering if anyone knows haw far they have spread & how many Essex records there have been. I have attached a couple of photos.

Stuart
Hello!
Pardon for my english. I am Spanish and sometimes I do'nt quite understand or what I say too.
Here are Gonocerus acuteangulatus with typical darker coloration of northern Europe.

Ciao!!

Another 3, not the best photos, all were feeding on this Sorbus, in close proximity to each other. Have read through quite a few pages but so many different bugs I gave up and also having problems with monitor I have to play through plasma screen on wall and my neck is taking the brunt of it so thanks in advance for any info.
Hello Dunedin,
1. Is a nymph of the Green Shieldbug Palomena prasina.
2. Appears to be a nymph of Sehirus impressus.
3. Is an adult Hawthorn Shieldbug Acanthosoma hemorroidale.
Nymphs can and do change colour with differing instars, so aren't always easy to sort out as to identity.
Harry
Sorry, but all three bugs are the same species.
As discussed harry eales for the third, are all Acanthosoma hemorroidale.
Indeed, we should'nt look at their colors are so different, because what matters are the structures. I put some links:
Acanthosoma hemorroidale. Look at the final nymphs. The shape is exactly the same as those of dunedin.
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Acanthosomatidae/a_haemorrhoidale.html
Canthophorus impressus = Sehirus impressus. The nymphs are black and red.
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Cydnidae/canthophorus_impressus.html
Palomena prasina. Their nymphs are black and green or black and brown when young, and usually green in instar 4 and 5.
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/palomena_prasina.html

Ciao!!

P.D: Sorry to have made so many posts in so little time. I just signed up and I think I've been through.
I would not want to disturb you.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm sure it's a Troilus luridus nymph.
Zicrona's nymph has tergum skin very red.
Please, take a look at these links:
Troilus luridus
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/troilus_luridus.html
Zicrona caerulea
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/zicrona_caerulea.html

Ciao!!

Thanks MOhon! It certainly could be! That was my reason for posting here as a lot of the instars look very similar (to me!) - sorry for not responding sooner, haven't looked on here for a while!

A new query!

A friend photographed the attached whilst on holiday in Bali. Neither of us have been able to ID it so far!! Any idea please? It looks like a shieldbug species...
Thank you! |:D|

Attachments

• Beetle.jpg
    Beetle.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 55
Hello Rockwolf!
Your bug belongs to the superfamily Pentatomomorpha, family Scutelleridae.
There are several genres in Southeast Asia and tropical Australia den area called "bejeweled bugs". Scutiphora, Tectocoris, etc. I don't nothing else.

Ciao!!

Can anyone identify the attached shieldbug please?

I happened to see it walking across a plastic groundsheet I was sitting on. The squares of the groundsheet are 2mm square.
Found in mature broadleaf woodland 2 days ago, in West Yorshire, UK

Thanks,
Clive

Attachments

• DSCN6897.JPG
    DSCN6897.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 58
^^It's a nymph of the Forest Bug, Pentatoma rufipes. I'm finding them quite a lot in oak trees at the moment.
Remarkably (to me) I found a load of these on a road a week ago.:eek!: Its quite a quiet road, but plenty had been squashed.
I have no insight on why they were on the road

From a Friday Bug Hunt

From a bug hunt last Friday (shieldbugs and squashbugs)
Pleased to find, at last, the 'normal' red spotted form of Brassica bug but best of the day has to be the spiny critter, Coriomeris denticulatus, a bug lifer for me although the size of the Dock Bugs were pretty impressive.
Joe

Attachments

• abrass1.jpg
    abrass1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 73
  • abug1.jpg
    abug1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 68
  • aSB4.jpg
    aSB4.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 77
  • asloebug1.jpg
    asloebug1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 76
  • spiny1.jpg
    spiny1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 72
French shield bug

Hello!

Spotted this shield bug in the Alps in France in May, and haven't yet been able to identify it! Can anyone help please?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• P5172874.jpg
    P5172874.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 67
A couple from SW Turkey

Here's a couple in my garden(SW Turkey) this morning,sorry about the awkward angle of the first shot but it seemed to be very busy
Could someone ID them for me please

Attachments

• P1000839.jpg
    P1000839.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 69
  • P1000841.JPG
    P1000841.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hello!

Spotted this shield bug in the Alps in France in May, and haven't yet been able to identify it! Can anyone help please?

Many thanks!
Had this ID as Pitedia (Chlorochoa) juniperina, apparently it used to occur in Britain but has not been seen here for over a century!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back