• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird Calls, San Mateo California USA (1 Viewer)

Michael Long

United States

I would like to identify three different calls in this recording, the first rapidly calling shorb I belive is a Whimbrel, the kep calls that can be heard throughout I belive are American Avocet Calls, the call at 14 seconds I think is another Avocet call. Thank's in advance - Michael

I think they are all Avocet calls. I don't usually analyze sonograms, but the rapid call is the exact same shape as a single note for an Avocet, and it seems like it is slightly higher pitch than most Whimbrel calls. This is just my opinion. It seems to me like you have a fairly good grasp on this, since you already are in the right ballpark. I wouldn't necessarily place more faith in my opinion than yours, but figured I'd provide a second opinion. They are both very similar sounding, but I have also found long calls of Avocets that look and sound like yours, and not Whimbrel, which is heavily influencing my judgement. I am using Macaulay library to search sounds of each species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back