• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird ID, California - help please. (1 Viewer)

Freezo

Can anyone help with Id for this bird, photographed (badly!) from the harbour wall at La Jolla, CA, at low tide, midday-ish, early February.
Apologies for the poor photo quality, and the terrible angle - almost from directly above which means no legs visible. I'm a beginner birder & a Brit with almost no knowledge of American birds so I wouldn't like to hazard a guess - if pressed I'd go for Black Turnstone.
Thanks in anticipation,

Fraser

Attachments

• LaJollaBird1.jpg
    LaJollaBird1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 130
  • LaJollaBird2.jpg
    LaJollaBird2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 117
I agree with Black Turnstone, overall charcoal plumage, with slight light markings on the tertials, a thick, all black, slightly up-turned bill, and a faint supercillium. A Surfbird would be much a much lighter gray all-over, with an orange lower mandible.

Surfbird

Black Turnstone

Thanks folks.

That trip to San Diego was my first to the US except for a jaunt across the border from Canada at Niagara as a kid. It wasn’t a birding trip, but I managed to pick up a National Geographic Guide to the Birds of N. America for just $6 (I think there was a new edition due out & this was the old one, but good enough for my interested amateur rather than serious birder purposes.)
The eyebrow was worrying me. The black turnstone illustrated in that guide showed a definite eyebrow, while the surfbird one didn’t, but a quick scan through the Bird Forum galleries illustrates the danger of relying only on one illustration in one guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back