• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoreline surprise at Fort George (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Popped up to Ardersier again on Thursday 7th Sept. Visiting my mother and gives me the opportunity to wander the shore and ranges with camera and binoculars. Friday saw a LOT of Cormorant, Guillemot and standard sea birds with nothing overly exciting spotted. I did get an opportunity to photograph Swallows and House Martins with young basking on an old roof, photos unedited so far.
Saturday morning I parked at the Fort and unusually for me, decided to take my tripod on a walk around the Fort shore. Hadn't gone very far at all when I spotted something moving on the shoreline. Binoculars first for an ID then fling them away and frantically grabbed the camera for my first live, wild shots of an Otter munching on a catch.
View attachment BAZ_7858.jpg
Of course at this point I was hand holding the 150-600 Sigma against a good strong breeze and hide behind the only shrub in the area so, I got as many shots as I could before it slid back into the sea.
I moved along the shore to somewhere I could sit, set up the tripod and hope. It stayed just offshore, swimming and fishing in pretty choppy water, catching and eating on the move. I managed several more shots and a reasonable video before it dived and disappeared. Not only a fabulous opportunity but it stayed there for around 30 minutes in total. Wonderful experience. I've been on the lookout up here for quite some time, never really expecting to see one!
Not a lot else happened on my walk but I didn't really care 🥰👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back