• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scozmos

United Kingdom
I've been going up to Ardersier for a few years now and most mornings I'm up and away along the shore with a camera, see what there is to be seen. I've quite often seen a lone Hooded Crow on the shoreline picking around but, it's very wary and usually flies off when I get closer or, it's too dull for any decent shots with the long lens. However, this July I was up, wandering along the shoreline around the Fort as is my want of a bright morning, when I spotted the Hooded Crow up ahead, standing on one of the many old posts along the shore. Nothing unusual there, apart from the fact that it was good light and the bird stayed in place for me to get a shot or three. Then ........ it was joined by a Carrion Crow (tbc?) and they definitely behaved like a pair.
Now, I'm no expert in very much at all but, if this is what I saw, how unusual is it?
Love to hear your thoughts on this, I'm off up again this weekend, maybe see and capture more.
Cheers a'

Attachments

• Hooded Crow on a post by the sea.jpg
    Hooded Crow on a post by the sea.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Hooded Crow at its post.jpg
    Hooded Crow at its post.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Hooded Crow - In the nictate of an eye.jpg
    Hooded Crow - In the nictate of an eye.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Hooded & Carrion Crow.jpg
    Hooded & Carrion Crow.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • Hooded & Carrion Crow - Watch the beach, I'm getting a nap.jpg
    Hooded & Carrion Crow - Watch the beach, I'm getting a nap.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Hooded & Carrion Crow - The odd couple.jpg
    Hooded & Carrion Crow - The odd couple.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Hooded & Carrion Crow - Is there nae privacy any more.jpg
    Hooded & Carrion Crow - Is there nae privacy any more.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
I'm hoping for someone to confirm this but it's my belief that there are very few (if any) pure Hoodies on the east side of Scotland. They've cross-bred with Carrion Crow.

I saw a Carrion Crow feeding a fledgling Hoodie on Black Isle many years ago.

I think I need to get past Aberfeldy before Hoodies begin to take over from Carrions.

I think it is relatively common where the two populations overlap resulting in birds that look superficially like Hooded Crows but are usually either darker or have more extensive black markings. (Maybe this is determined by which of the 2 species the male and female parents are?)
There are a few examples of these hybrid offspring in these blog-posts.

I think it is relatively common where the two populations overlap resulting in birds that look superficially like Hooded Crows but are usually either darker or have more extensive black markings. (Maybe this is determined by which of the 2 species the male and female parents are?)
There are a few examples of these hybrid offspring in these blog-posts.

If they exist, pure hoodies, how would we know?

Picked this link up in a thread on here and it's very good for this.

I've seen a good few hybrids like yours and 1 or 2 that looked very close to pure Hooded around Peterhead over last couple years. But for me it's very tough to clinch it even with good lighting and good photos really.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back