• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I give up birding? (3 Viewers)

is birding even worth us pursuing at this stage?

It's not a destination, it's just a path and a barely discernable one at that.
If you've the mind to, take a wander and rest wherever you feel like.

Too many "rules" in all walks of life - bugrem ;)

Well, when you go birding as a novice (young one or old one) its not the age of the fellow birders that's intimidating -- its their expertise! eg: they drivie down the road with the car window down and say, "oh listen, that's a black throated blue" or when you get all excited about 50 or 100 mute swans taking off and all they are interested in is the little "rare" brown bird in the marsh under the boardwalk. Birding or birdwatching is fun and the people who do it are fascinating. By the way, who the heck is Joey Ramon? Have you ever heard of Andy Russell? LOL

All I can say is, "Try it, you may find you like it". I have found that relating to other birders of varying ages is not really that big of a deal. It seemed to be more a "mind set" thing. I would suggest that you give it several chances and not base your decision on just one or two excursions.

This is pretty much experiences.

Most of my birdwatcher friends are 20-30 years older than me. It hasn't stopped me enjoying the birds with them. It's the things you have in common :).

But if age is definitely the issue you can always go birding on your own. The beauty of this hobby is that you can practise it any time on the surface of the planet. There is no commitment. The birds simply pop up in your daily routines :).

D.

chris it hink you've got yourself confused, choose a place where you would like to go, because it's got nice scenery, take a picnic and something to drink, choose a route you can walk round the place, which gives you the ammount of exercies that you want to get. take your bins

then go enjoy being outdoors, you might see some birds if you do all well an good, if you can work out what they are even better, but don't worry about it if not. the idea is to enjoy it not treat it as some sort of chore

if you are only interested in birding around the house, that is fine.

I would give the Audubon trips at least a try though, as a walkthrough. that is how I started birding 10 years ago, and I am only a year or so older than you. I honestly didn't find birding around a bunch of people several decades older than me to be either awkward or intimidating

The good thing about birding is you can do it as casually or as seriously as you want. Birds are all around us everywhere you go. You can just look at the ones you see while out doing other things or you can go actively looking. My advice would be don't make a conscious decision, just let it happen naturally. Start with the garden, next the local park or nature reserve...see how you get on.

And I wouldn't go "scanning dense foliage" as you suggest, just start with the obvious ones!

Last edited:
Only you can derive satisfaction from the pursuit and endeavor. By standards you, yourself sets. No one or no organization can say honestly that in order to enjoy yourself, a large list, certain optics, a standard mode of dress, or even who your "jamming" with currently is absolutely required. Obviously, internet connectivity drives competitiveness and marketing aspects, try to ignore myself.

Only thing I can suggest, put wildlife's requisite needs above your own during interaction and a certain measure of peace can be found.

Only you can derive satisfaction from the pursuit and endeavor. By standards you, yourself sets. No one or no organization can say honestly that in order to enjoy yourself, a large list, certain optics, a standard mode of dress, or even who your "jamming" with currently is absolutely required. Obviously, internet connectivity drives competitiveness and marketing aspects, try to ignore myself.

Only thing I can suggest, put wildlife's requisite needs above your own during interaction and a certain measure of peace can be found.

Good advice, I couldn't agree more.

Knowing my fiance, she'll quickly grow bored standing in one spot scanning the trees all in the hope of spotting one bird.

However, I haven't opened the binoculars yet so they are still returnable for a full refund. The books, too. Both of us are on the fence about it. We're young, she's finishing exams and will soon be looking for a job as a massage therapist, I should be looking for a better job, we're planning on building a house in the next few years, and she's already taken up knitting as a hobby.

So, I guess the question is: given everything I've said here, is birding even worth us pursuing at this stage?

What about getting a refund for the binoculars and taking up knitting with your fiancee? At least you won't get wet or sunburnt... and you could supply the extended family with knitted jumpers at Xmas from now til eternity.

So, I guess the question is: given everything I've said here, is birding even worth us pursuing at this stage?

The more I think about this the more this seems like an odd question. It's not like you are making a commitment to buy a house or RV. Buy a cheap pair of binoculars and go check out a field guide from your library. The innitial investment is minimal. Go for a few bird walks. You may like it or not. If you don't you're out very little.

For cripes sake, go for a nice walk in the park or the woods or along a lake and bring your bino's along with the snacks.

You're building a mountain out of a mole hill!

The more I think about this the more this seems like an odd question. It's not like you are making a commitment to buy a house or RV.

Good point. BTW, what's an "RV"?
I find it odd when I hear of people making a conscious decision to "take up" birding as a hobby, as if it were golfing or Yoga. I've always assumed you have a natural inclination to observe the goings-on of the natural world, or you don't, but that might be because I've hung around with too many folk who believe in Predestination.
But the OP can test his bird-interest, and that of his partner, for the price of a bag of peanuts.
Step one: Buy a bag of bird-peanuts and hang them from a branch in your garden.
Step two: Sit and look out the window, and observe any birds that come to feed. Beer and popcorn optional (for you, not the birds).
Step three: Ask each other if you find the experience enjoyable.
Step four: If the answer to step three was "Yes", proceed as per guidelines in previous posts.:t:

Last edited:
For cripes sake, go for a nice walk in the park or the woods or along a lake and bring your bino's along with the snacks.

You're building a mountain out of a mole hill!

Let's cut Chris some slack. He said he had gotten the feedback he wanted and had made up his mind to go ahead and give it a try five days ago in post 12, and has not posted since then. It's the forum that's made this thread go on and on, not the OP.

Jim

I've only just come across this thread. Birding is something you do to the extent you want. Its a hobby, not a sport.

Twitching is something different. Twitching is a sport. It takes list size as a basis for comparison and participants are naturally competitive (its a self-selecting system). Its not compulsory, and some people do it for a while and then decide to return to a more relaxed form of birding. Some people try it and can't give it up. Some of them take it to the level of an extreme sport. Some of them are frankly completely bonkers (I may be one of them) but most of them can still enjoy common birds at home when they are not twitching.

Decide your own approach and do what you like - but giving up is probably an over-reaction to a misperception.

Incidentally, as regards asking others for help, (a) the only silly question is the one you don't ask; (b) I still cringe at some of the naive mistakes I made in public when I started - but by asking the question I learned something. It never mattered to me whether the person I asked was older or younger than me, I just wanted to tap their knowledge to increase my own.

Good birding!

John

I would quit the job and travel the world.

seriously, I mostly bird when going on a holiday. So if I can give you one advice: go the neotropics, book some accomodation in the middle of the jungle, and the birdwatching will grow on you and your girlfriend. I am about the same age and birdwatching is seen by me and my girlfriend to be the very best way to break free of the daily work and discover the best patches of nature around (places where most people never come).

Perhaps a dumb question for a birding forum, but better here than anywhere else!

I am having second thoughts about taking up birding as a hobby. My fiance has always really enjoyed watching the finches, cardinals and bluebirds gather around the feeders and birdbaths, etc. and I grew up in a house where my parents also enjoyed gardening and watching birds. It's been such a beautiful spring thus far and almost on a whim it occurred it me that perhaps she and I could take up birding on weekends, traveling to some of the local spots, taking light walks with our binoculars in hand, and spotting some different species of birds. She said she'd be interested, but it's not yet something which we're thrilled about.

I've purchased a couple of field guides which I've been perusing in the bed before falling asleep, looking up common birds, learning a few things along the way; I've purchased one nice pair of binoculars so far; and I've now purchased a "how-to" guide by some guy with the last name 'Dunne'. We could potentially head down to the South Mountains this weekend, go for a stroll, try to spot some birds; however, it sounds like work. After talking to friends and co-workers who also have a backyard birding interest, trying to spot birds in dense foliage and places generally outside of one's backyard isn't particulary easy. Who knows if we'll spot anything! Knowing my fiance, she'll quickly grow bored standing in one spot scanning the trees all in the hope of spotting one bird. And since we're both nubes, we have no idea what we're looking at. And we're both 30 years old, so getting together with a group of baby-boomer birders (no offence) will wear out its welcome fast.

The above scenario is mostly conjectural, though. We haven't tried it, yet - and I think that is what sustains our interest. I also would like to get outside more, experience nature, yet not experience nature in a hiking/camping sort of way. However, I haven't opened the binoculars yet so they are still returnable for a full refund. The books, too. Both of us are on the fence about it. We're young, she's finishing exams and will soon be looking for a job as a massage therapist, I should be looking for a better job, we're planning on building a house in the next few years, and she's already taken up knitting as a hobby.

Yes! It is definitely worth pursuing at any stage. The beauty of birding is that it can be appreciated anywhere at any time. Birds are all around us and can be watched even for a few minutes between chores or from the office window.

I'm also younger than 'baby boomers' although I am older than you but they aren't that bad and quite a few of them are very knowledgeable. Anyway, it's not what people are it's who they are that counts. And joining a local group will help get you into things faster than anything - you'll see more birds as people point them out to you.

You're already on the 'slippery slope' by joining Bird Forum and asking questions. ;)

I'm 23 and I'm out looking for birds at least once a week, so you'll meet people of every age. And it's okay to be a beginner. My parents have been teaching me birds since I've been able to walk so I have an advantage, but you can start anytime. There's always something to learn anyway- I don't think I could identify all 300+ birds in the Midwest on the spot. It's only hard if you feel you have to identify every bird. The secret is to not put too much pressure on yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back