• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike ID - Skanes, Tunisia (1 Viewer)

derekg

Bamber Bridge Birder
I've just got back from Tunisia where I saw several examples of this Shrike which I first identified as a Great Grey Shrike - Lanius algeriensis after browsing through my Collins bird guide. After posting some photos on my blog I recieved an email from a friend suggesting it may be a Southern Grey Shrike. Not having a dedicated Shrike book I thus turned to the internet and am now stumped as the 2 species look very similar at least to my eyes so any help in identifying the shrike and pointing out the difference between the 2 species will be gratefully recieved. (more photos of the Shrike are on my blog)

Derek

Attachments

• Great grey shrike 1 small.jpg
    Great grey shrike 1 small.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Great grey shrike 2 small.jpg
    Great grey shrike 2 small.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 88
This does look like an algeriensis grey Shrike, earlier they were considered a subspecies of Great grey Shrike, then Southern Grey Shrike (which included the North African forms) was split from Great Grey, and now the birds of central Asia and North Africa might be split again and called Desert Grey Shrike...
All very confusing but the ID of your bird as algeriensis is the key thing, based on the lack of white above the dakr mask, dark plumage (and location)
Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back