• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan Birding (22 Viewers)

Hi Ben - the early June recording can of course be a passage bird but a July recording looks very interesting. With more birders starting to visit Tangjiahe for the Parrotbill then we'll see if we get more records of the White-throated Rock Thrush. Unfortunately doesn't look like there's an online song or call recording of this species. However it must be characteristic when Mack describes its evening song as "beautifully melancholic."
All the best
Sid

Just backed from the Tangjiahe NR (my 1st visit), saw:
1 Lepard Cat (Prionailurus bengalensis), 1 Hog Badger (Arctonyx collaris), 1 Musked Plam Civet (Paguma larvata), 1 Reeve's Muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi) during the night walks (the first 2 both within 5 m, whom walked confidently toward us under our torch's light!). During the day time, 2 RM, 2 Chinese Goral (Naemorhedus griseus, 1 ad with 1 young). Certainly, 1+6 Takin (far away on the slopes). Plus more than 7 Pere David's Rock Squirrel and a group of Tibetan Macaque (Macaca thibetana, around 10 individuals, whom been attracted close to the road leading to the main hotel, seems the NR wish to repeat those unpleasant story happened in Emei Shan between people and this largest Macaca species in China).

Even witnessed 1 Large-billed Crow preyed on 1 unID small rodent (to me, looks like some Eothenomys spp.) who was crossing the road in a hurry at that very moment!

Due to the rainy weather and time limitation, I didn't explore the high elevation area within this NR. However, only the low altitude part of Tangjiahe alone should be highly recommended to anyone who interested in the forest mammals of China! Top destination!

Last edited:
Labahe Red Panda Twitch

Together with my kids Egon (13) and Ida (11), I took the opportunity to spend a couple of days of the National Holiday to look for Red Panda at Labahe.

This was the third attempt for me to get to this specific place. Previously I have failed due to monk uprisings. This time around, some road work between Ya'an and Labahe seemed to once again derail my plans. We went anyway and reached Labahe in some six hours from CTU (normally it is supposed to take some 4,5 hrs).

Weather was typically Sichuanese. Rain and low clouds.

We spent two full days up on the mountain and it seemed that we were going to fail in our attempts to find the red gold. Finally, just when the rain had stopped and the sun came out briefly afternoon day two, we encountered two Red Pandas at the lower end of the "boardwalk", around 2300 masl. We all got very close and good, yet brief, views of what must be one of the coolest mammals. We assume it was a mother with a cub. One of them was clearly smaller and especially the tail seemed a lot thinner. The presumed adult female looked in prime condition and glowing dark red above, jet black below and with eyes that would make "Puss in Boots" (from Shrek) jealous.

Birdwise, I dipped Streaked Barwing. We spent almost all of the time at higher altitudes. I did put in the last morning at the known spot at "White Dove Resort" but with no success. For a list of what I did find, see below (H meaning Higher altitude, 2400-2550, L meaning Lower altitude, 1900-2050, HL meaing both High and Low). A mystery bird was one singing at around 2450 masl that sounded pretty much exactly like a mountain tailorbird. Ideas anyone???

Labahe seems a fantastic place with high potential. Really great forests at a relatively wide altitude range and high quality bamboo higher up. The key to real success would be more trails.

Big thanks go to Sid and Roland for excellent advice!

Saludos,
Jocko

Temminck’s Tragopan 2 H Heard only
Lady Amherst’s Pheasant 7 HL 3 male, 2 female, 2 heard
Crimson-breasted Woodpecker 1 L Male
Himalayan Swiftlet 50+ H
Speckled Wood Pigeon 40+ H
Oriental Honey-buzzard 1 L
Chinese Sparrowhawk 1 L
Red-billed Blue Magpie 20 HL
Spotted Nutcracker 25+ HL
Large-billed Crow 3 L
Long-tailed Minivet 15 HL
Brown Dipper 2 L
Slaty-backed Flycatcher 1 L
Taiga Flycatcher 3 H
Golden Bush-Robin 5 H
Grey-headed Canary-Flycatcher 1 L
Blue-fronted Redstart 1 H
White-capped Water-Redstart 10 HL
Plumbeous Water-Redstart 10 HL
White-bellied Redstart 1 H Singing(!)
Slaty-backed Forktail 1 L
Siberian Stonechat 1 L
Sichuan Treecreeper 2 H
Rufous-vented Tit 1 H
Yellow-bellied Tit 3 L
Green-backed Tit 5 L
Asian House-Martin 150+ H
Collared Finchbill 1 L
Japanese White-eye 4 L
Brown Bush-Warbler 1 H
Grey-sided Bush-Warbler 2 H
Chestnut-headed Tesia 1 H
Alpine Leaf Warbler 6 HL
Yellow-streaked Warbler 3 L
Buff-barred Warbler 100+ H
Chinese Leaf-Warbler 1 L
Sichuan Leaf Warbler 50+ HL Most of them around 2000m
Yellow-browed Warbler 1 L
Seicercus sp 1 2 H Unsure ID, not calling
Seicercus sp 2 4 L Unsure ID, not calling
Elliot’s Laughingthrush 25+ HL
Black-faced Laughingthrush 10 H
Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler 3 L
Pygmy Wren-Babbler 2 H Heard only
Green Shrike-Babbler 10+ L
Golden-breasted Fulvetta 1 H
Grey-hooded Fulvetta 40+ H
White-collared Yuhina 15 HL
Brown Parrotbill 1 H
Ashy-throated Parrotbill 2 Along road 318
Fulvous Parrotbill 8 H
White Wagtail 10 L
Grey Wagtail 2 L
Oriental Tree Pipit 5 H
Plain Mountain-Finch 2 H
Common Rosefinch 3 H
Vinaceous Rosefinch 1 H Heard only

Great list Jocko !

Congrats on your Red Pandas in their natural habitat. Great little mammals. I often go to the Shanghai Zoo (for birding - nice open and wooded areas) and always stop by the Red Panda pen to watch their antics (which often involves sleeping on high branches with all four legs hanging over the branch). The pen is open and the RPs often patrol within a metre of you. I took my father, who is visiting, there yesterday.

Hope your children enjoyed the trip and birding !

Well done Jocko - persistence finally paid off!!! Roland was there a couple of days after you and also got a Red Panda. We are due four visits there this autumn - lets hope we're in for some luck!!!!

That October singing White-bellied Redstart is a bit of a surprise - a guest and I got them singing on a September trip - and I thought that was unusually late.

My summer and autumn have been pretty busy to say the least - during August I made a road trip to Qinghai - driving via Kanding and Ganzi to get there and back home again through Gansu and Ruoergai. Most memorable moment of that trip was watching a Golden eagle make a high altitude stoop and missing, by a whisker, catching a Tibetan Fox!!!!!!
Right now I'm out surveying on my patch in NE Sichuan - quite a few birds of prey passing over - yesterday a Steppe Eagle and we've had quite a few Amur Falcon.
A fuzzy picture of my Eagle going south - and male and female Amur Falcons showing that were also enjoying Sichuan at its grey and misty best!!!!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 60
  • amur falcon m.jpg
    amur falcon m.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Amur Falcon f.jpg
    Amur Falcon f.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
That last post I wrote about my road-trip, together with my 18yo nephew,Tom,to Qinghai. Before the trip Tom picked up a tiny 20x Panasonic zoom camera - the DMC-ZS20. This is in the pocket equipment - and I was quite staggered at the results he got.

Pic 1 - still inside Sichuan; a Tibetan Fox on evening patrol for Pika - White-rumped Snowfinch in the background

Pic 2 - Little Owl giving quite a pose - the inset picture is of a Little Owl emerging from a Pika Burrow with a Pika. These birds go down the tunnels after their prey!!!

pic 3 - this time in Qinghai - a Tibetan Shrike not the easiest subject for a camera without a viewfinder!!!

Funnily emough this camera missed one feature that it has in the rest of its markets - a GPS system for recording location of picture. You ain't supposed to have these in China.

And a picture from the Old Man - Salim Ali's Swift - lots of these nesting on mud banks, Monastaries and other buildings in the part of Sichuan that borders Qinghai.

Off tomorrow on the first of my Red Panda trips - Roland, together with a guest, got one a couple days ago at Labahe - the forestry wardens had also picked up an injured Golden Snub-nosed Monkey - which was in cage for a day before being moved for treatment.

Attachments

• T Fox.jpg
    T Fox.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Little Owl.jpg
    Little Owl.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Tibetan Shrike.jpg
    Tibetan Shrike.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Salim alis.jpg
    Salim alis.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Those Panasonic superzooms have always been amongst the best of their breed - as some of those shots show. The Little Owl is excellent !

Big day today - out at Ruoergai on a mammal trip with Richard Webb, Debbie Pain and Duncan McNiven . First full day with main focus species Pallas's Cat. Yayyyy - took us 4 hours to find this hairy beauty - got it both morning and evening - watched it for over 2 hours and got to see it hunting Pikas.
My best pictures blurry and grainy, but great to see this wonderful animal.

Mustn't forget all the other animals - 4 Wolves, many Tibetan foxes and at Labahe one and half days watching gave 5 Red Panda!!!!

On the birding front - still lots of black-necked Cranes at Rouergai and whole selection of BOP's that include Merlin, Hen Harriers, Steppe Eagle, Black Vulture together with many Saker and all the other usual suspects. At Labahe Lady A were very common but only one female Tragopan. Good birds there were a couple of Grey-sided Bush Warbler and a Bar-winged Wren babbler.

Attachments

• Pallas's Cat.jpg
    Pallas's Cat.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 127
Last week Roland also finished a trip to Labahe - again up to 5 Red Panda sighted - but some of their birding finds were very interesting.

Perhaps the most exciting was a flock of Grey-hooded Parrotbill seen half way up the driving track. We've always suspected these birds of being here - but always thought we'd get them in the open bamboo on the boardwalk. This recording at a lower site was a bit of a surprise.

Another good bird was Streaked Barwing - Roland's group got 4 of these birds, and he managed to make sound recordings.

Disturbing news from Labahe is that they are now going to build a cable-car - starting at a location very close to the main Red Panda watching sites up onto one of the higher ridges. The park is geared up to tourism rather than wildlife conservation - lets hope it doesn't go the same way as Emei and Wawu!!!!!

I've uploaded a picture, by Debbie Pain, from my last trip - one of the the Labahe Red Pandas

Attachments

• Red Panda.jpg
    Red Panda.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 83
Here's another interesting record from our autumn trips - this time from Roland - an Eastern Imperial Eagle in the Jiuzhaigou area - on October 26th. Irobbizle in post 695 writes about seeing a pair in the same area during May.
The picture is blurred and super-grainy - but its a record shot!!!

Attachments

• imperial eagle.jpg
    imperial eagle.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 75
With a trip just finished, that again took me to Labahe, and included Balang/Wolong, Qingchengshan and Chengdu sites, while this morning about to head off for survey work in Southern Sichuan, I'm literally in and out of the door!!!

The trip, just 5 days, gave exactly 150 ticks - the most interesting were -

Labahe
Giant Panda are again around the top board walk - lots of skat on the level section in the forest and on the boardwalk going downhill.
2 Gold-fronted Fulvetta in a mixed flock on the lower road
1 female Yellow-bellied Flowerpecker - be careful with ID'ing females they can look rather different to the MacK plate - use OBI
Sooty Tit - first time for me to see this species at Labahe
1 male Tristram's Bunting - again first time for Labahe.

Balang/Wolong
this trip was a Rosefinch El Derado - 9 species, 8 of which were seen at these sites.
Best were 4 Sharpe's Rosefinch at Wolong and 3 Long-tailed on the Rilong side of the pass. The remaining species was Vinaceous at Qingcheng.
Sooty Tit - large flock of 50+
Crested Tit Warbler and Prewalski's Nuthatch - always quite easy in the winter on the Rilong side of the pass
Grandala - large winter flocks
Guldenstadt's Redstart - a great male near the top of the pass

Qingcheng
a pair of Spot-breasted Parrotbill - third time I've got this great bird at this site
Grey-sided Bush Warbler - a very obliging bird appeared as we were coaxing out a Pygmy Wren Babbler

Chengdu
Yellow-browed Tit - a small flock at the Panda research center - never before had this species in Chengdu
Gey-headed Lapwing - single bird on the river close to New Exhibition Center - we had only 10 minutes at this site and managed to get Long-billed Plover after 30 seconds

Hey Robbi - I'm afraid the same idiots who have desecrated Wawu are working away at Labahe - we were shocked to find them working on their latest crazy scheme - a large deer enclosure, that fences off a large chunk of great birding and Red Panda habitat close to the toilets 3/4 of the way up the jeep track. We have heard that they may fill this enclosure with non-native species - so comes all the complications of possible disease transfer and consequences of escape. This enclosure is only a couple of K's from the Giant Panda skat - totally crazy and a disgrace to Chinese Giant Panda conservation!!!!!!
We've contacted persons who may be able to help avert the vandalism - but don't hold out too many hopes. Anybody here who want to use our pictures to send to your own contacts or publish on other websites - please be my guest

Pictures
Panda Skat on the board walk
and the disgraceful deer enclosure at Labahe

Attachments

• Giant Panda.JPG
    Giant Panda.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 69
  • fencing 1.JPG
    fencing 1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 67
  • fencing.JPG
    fencing.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Great autumn trip, Sid; hope you weren't too cold at 4500 m watching those grandalas. On the other hand, the view must have been totally worth every shiver. A distressing report on the deer enclosure at Labahe. Regarding the "development" of Wawu and now the goings-on at Labahe, my first reaction is, "What are they thinking?" But it's all too clear what they're thinking. They're thinking of getting a better "return on investment" than a pure nature reserve would bring.

Here's two bits of great news -
Firstly on a trip to Southern Sichuan and Yunnan, Roland and guests have found Biet's Laughingthrush at Muli - it's still hanging on in the site where we saw it during 2008

And already some great news from Labahe - my WWF contact, who we mailed the day we found the fence, got in touch with the relevant authorities - it transpired that the animals the park wanted to place in the enclosure were Red Deer from Xinjiang Province - and they had no lisense to keep them, while the enclosure was judged to be damaging Giant panda habitat. irobbizl then mailed me to say that the forest protection authority has ordered the removal of the fence.
The protection guys have also been up to check out the nearby Giant Panda skat - and officially recorded the presence of the animal - which again helps defend this area from the introduction of alien species.

And already some great news from Labahe - my WWF contact, who we mailed the day we found the fence, got in touch with the relevant authorities - it transpired that the animals the park wanted to place in the enclosure were Red Deer from Xinjiang Province - and they had no lisense to keep them, while the enclosure was judged to be damaging Giant panda habitat. irobbizl then mailed me to say that the forest protection authority has ordered the removal of the fence.
The protection guys have also been up to check out the nearby Giant Panda skat - and officially recorded the presence of the animal - which again helps defend this area from the introduction of alien species.

Superb news ! Great work by all concerned, including the Chinese authorities.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back