• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick deer (1 Viewer)

Ce2613

Italy
Hi,
This is a sad post. Nearby my home there’s the university’s vet section and there’s a walk just nearby the outdoor cages. In one of those I’ve found a deer. It’s beautiful. I’ve never seen a deer so close. I think it’s a female. Sometimes she looks straight at you and it feels incredible. She seems healthy but she’s not. After some time I realized she never stood up. I thought she was just resting. I was wrong. While I was there a man came by. He told me her story. Six years ago there has been a huge wildfire in the mountains nearby my city. She has been surprised by it and she wasn’t able to escape in time from it. As a result she lost a leg. Since then she’s taken care by the university. Unfortunately though, I don’t know why, they haven’t tried to do something to solve her problem. As you can see from the video attached she lacks just the lower portion of her leg. To me it seems obvious to just install a prothesis, even some of the simplest ones to make her live again but for the university this isn’t so obvious. My question is, is university behaving correctly? I’m not a vet so the prosthesis idea might be silly but since I’ve seen her I’d like to be sure that everything that can be done for her has been done. I can’t stand the idea that she’ll spend the rest of her days like this while something could have been done. Can anyone confirm me that this is the best she can live?
View attachment trim.724D215F-A6A3-46F7-B5FE-F7ACB0F6928B.MOV
View attachment trim.ECA3C2E6-D583-4786-A493-3BA90A9A8260.MOV
View attachment trim.25157316-C344-4C54-9350-886E9A0CB1C1.MOV

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back