• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron Blue sky 8x32, is this glare normal? (1 Viewer)

chintanj

United States
Hello,
very new to bino's here and this would (maybe) be my first pair. I was recommended and purchased the Sightron blue sky 8x32 recently. I was just checking it out and realized there is a lot of glare when I bring it near a light source. It was quite annoying of course, so I wanted to check if this much glare is normal. I think the glare suggests a bad coating on the barrels right?
Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions for other things I could check do let me know :)
(I have also added a picture from the objective side trying to capture the light falling on the barrels..and one picture shows where I was pointing at)

Thank you.

Attachments

• 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 26
Often it can be a matter of eye placement, how far the eye cups are extended, or insufficient baffling (I don't see any in the picture).
I took a picture of my Fujinon KF 10x42 which AFAIK is made in the same factory as the Sightron.
It has no proper baffling at all. Compared to the Svbony SV202 on the right which has it.
Might worsen the stray light and veiling glare when there is no bafflingIMG_20220707_205047.jpg.

Often it can be a matter of eye placement, how far the eye cups are extended, or insufficient baffling (I don't see any in the picture).
I took a picture of my Fujinon KF 10x42 which AFAIK is made in the same factory as the Sightron.
It has no proper baffling at all. Compared to the Svbony SV202 on the right which has it.
Might worsen the stray light and veiling glare when there is no baffling.
I've had my pair for over 10 years and generally if I have a problem with glare it's because of eye placement and occasionally IPD settings. There is a particular time in the afternoon and direction where I can induce some mild glare if I am one handing them, but other than that they are quite a nice bin. As you can see the Sightrons have different baffling from the Fujinon's, looking more like the SvbonyIMG_0263.JPG. Mine have sat outside on the porch without caps or covers for the last 7 years so they are looking a little forlorn (and I even washed them up for this pic).

@lilcrazy2
Ah, thanks for the pic! From the one posted before the baffling was not really visible.
But I made the same experience -- eye placement and very specific lighting positions can cause a bit of glare probably in almost any bino.

Might worsen the stray light and veiling glare when there is no bafflingView attachment 1456496.
Ok, I looked up what baffling is and this is what was suggested "A baffle is a ring made of thin plastic or aluminium that is attached to the inside of the optical tube and is painted in a black matt finish to further absorb unwanted light."

what you're trying to show here is the right binocular has more of those rings and therefore more baffling, right?

You can't tell a thing about the effectiveness of baffling by looking into the front of a binocular. The number of baffles, ribs and grooves doesn't mean anything. What matters is that the baffling is properly sized and positioned to block the spots of internal metal reflections that send glancing non-image forming light back toward the eyepiece and into the eye. Those can only be seen by examining the interior through the eyepiece end with a loupe under the lighting conditions that cause the glare.

Here's a link to some photos made through the eyepiece of a Swarovski 8x42 NL, which show the source of its glare and how pupil position affects it. The objective lens cell in this example is a typical source of glare in many binoculars. Only one properly sized and positioned baffle is needed to fix it.

Theoretically you might be right. But using the binos, often the ones without baffling do have problems with glare while the others don't. Especially when comparing the same formats. So I guess many binocular companies do in fact know where to put the baffling that it will fulfill its purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back