• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (14 Viewers)

Sadly, this seems not to have had a bump in 2022 at all. So I’ll give it one in 2023. :D
Allow me to bump again...

I just finished up my job as the Naturalist for the city of Portland, Maine on Friday. As a reward for the hard work I've put in over the past few years, I treated myself to an "open box" Blue Sky II 8x32 shipped from Japan for a whopping $119.99 total. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they compare to my cherished Opticron Traveler 8x32s. For the small price (assuming they're not misaligned or something) I'm sure I'll be happy to use them as a glove box bino to keep in my car.

I purchased the Fuji KF 8X32 which the same glass. This was after purchasing two Sightron 8X32s from Amazon, both out of collimation, and were obviously not new in box. It is obvious that Amazon does not send some items back to the vendors when there are issues, they just recycle and repeat.

I purchased the Fuji KF 8X32 which the same glass. This was after purchasing two Sightron 8X32s from Amazon, both out of collimation, and were obviously not new in box. It is obvious that Amazon does not send some items back to the vendors when there are issues, they just recycle and repeat.
Thanks for the heads up. My order was from eBay, and if they’re off, the seller pays for return shipping. Worth a shot.

Agree, I've had a couple of similar experiences with Amazon as well. One example had an overly tight focuser and could never get a satisfactory image. The other had rickety eye cups and a really sloppy focuser. Both were from well known and well regarded brands in the $200 to $400 MSRP range. I have other models sold by the same brands in the same price range which are much better examples.

Mike

I gave a real cherry set of 8x32 away to a new birder here on BF. I kept the other pair - and they are a great little bin for the kitchen side looking out.

Definitely a real 'bang for the buck' bin as both mine were from a store who checked them first before sending out.

I've had my Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 for around 8 years. It's been in my car for the past 6 years. I actually used it this morning on my way to work on a few Common Yellowthroat, Indigo Bunting, and Song Sparrow.

My SBSIIs arrived today from Japan much faster than I anticipated. They look brand new, and the collimation looks great. About 1mm of slop in the focus wheel, but for $120 to my door, I’ll happily live with that! (Now I’m wishing I had grabbed a new pair from Adorama back when they were on sale for $99.)

I’ll be the 10,000th person to say it… these are optically fantastic for the price. I’m stoked.

Can I ask a question? When I looked through the Sightron, wearing glasses and the eyecups in, not extended, then I was seeing the image but also seeing/aware of the black tube of the binocular. Does that mean the eye relief is not enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back