• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or Sports (2 Viewers)

jpskoubo

I had a Tamron 150-600 which I was quite satisfied with, but after a long trip to South America, the autofocus is not working properly anymore. I then asked experts if this could be repaired, but sadly the repair would cost as much as a new lens, so now I am on the hunt for a new zoom lens.
I know it has to be 150-600 again, and this time, I noticed the Sigma lenses where I have the choice between Contemporary and Sports.
Pros with Contemporary is obviously the price, pros with Sports is the weather proofing, but does that part really mean that much? Would the Contemporary do, and is there any significant difference the image quality between the two lenses?

Not a user of any of those, but would your lens still be running strong if it had been weather-sealed? And would the price difference be reasonable or can you purchase several of the non-sealed before the cost is even? Would you in the meantime have started wishing for something newer instead?
This under the assumption that optical quality is not that different. If it is, forget my arguments.
Niels

Not a user of any of those, but would your lens still be running strong if it had been weather-sealed? And would the price difference be reasonable or can you purchase several of the non-sealed before the cost is even? Would you in the meantime have started wishing for something newer instead?
This under the assumption that optical quality is not that different. If it is, forget my arguments.
Niels
Some excellent points made above, personally I'd go for the Sport and have the extra protection, you never know when you are going to need it.

Or...on the other hand, a good rain cover from WWS is a cheaper option if you want to save some money.

But, I know what I would do, especially after your recent failure.

Niels
I agree, those are some good questions. Would probably go for the Sports version then.

There is one for sale in the Classified section of the forum!
I think that the Sports version is heavier. It would be worth checking on that. I also think that optically they are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back