• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Silver Lane Lakes, near Risley NR (1 Viewer)

saluki

United Kingdom
Found a series of three small lakes last year but haven't had time to visit them much. They're newly constructed by the nearby landfill company. Anyone interested in a visit should come off the M62 at J11 and park at the top of the road going down to the Biffa landfill (lots of lorries go through here so be wary where you park). There's a footpath goes down the east-facing (Manchester) bank of the road, that goes all the way round the landfill, follow that and you'll reach the lakes. The footpath unfortunately runs far too close to the lakes and I tend to follow the old path that passes along the other side of the lakes, closer to the landfill (I probably shouldn't, but nobody's said anything to me as yet, and it disturbs the birds far less).

This morning I had barn owl, carrion crow chasing juv. hobby, green sandpiper on the middle lake, the place is great for little grebe - at least a dozen, plus usual waterfowl. Two buzzards, jays and lots of stock doves. The stubble next to the motorway is attracting lots of farmland birds at the moment - yellowhammers, reed buntings, linnets, goldies, greenies, chaffies and at least two redpoll in the alder on the landfill road bank. Also seen corn buntings there in the past.

Easy place to visit, not watched regularly, nice and peaceful when landfill not in use! Close to Risley Moss too. See attached pics.

Jonathan

Attachments

• round_lake.jpg
    round_lake.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 533
  • long_lake.jpg
    long_lake.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 491
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back