• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Singing bird Tenerife (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

The last one from Tenerife from last week as well..

The birds were common around the city/countryside, but hard to get a picture of, since it usually was hidden in the top of the palms.. My Birdnet app always recognized it as a Iberian Chiffchaff, when I recorded the singing, but as far as I can see it's not common on Tenerife at all.. On the contrary the Canary Islands Chiffchaff should be common everywhere on the Island.. The sound was sort of similar to the Common ChiffChaff, but slightly different, but still every easy to distinguish..

Can anyone tell me what is right and wrong here?

Thanks

Attachments

• Chif1.jpg
    Chif1.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Chif2.jpg
    Chif2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 61
Sorry if got a confusing the way I wrote it..

My question is simply just this: Is it a Iberian Chiffchaff or a Canary Islands Chiffchaff?

Thanks James.. Just wanted to be sure, since it's my first visit and the App told me something different..

Given the reports from people on here, I have no faith in the current state of the art in bird-sound ID by AI, and that certainly includes BirdNET. I wonder if the software's logic was: 'it's singing, it sounds a bit like a chiffchaff, and it's in Spain (technically true), ergo it's an Iberian chiffchaff'. Oh dear :( (n)

I'm not the one to judge the quality of apps, since my knowledge is too limited, but I have been very thankful for the help it provides in the field from time to time, when I'm in doubt.. And most of the time, it's hitting correctly, at least here in Poland, when I use it and have possibility to verify afterwards

Hello

The last one from Tenerife from last week as well..

The birds were common around the city/countryside, but hard to get a picture of, since it usually was hidden in the top of the palms.. My Birdnet app always recognized it as a Iberian Chiffchaff, when I recorded the singing, but as far as I can see it's not common on Tenerife at all.. On the contrary the Canary Islands Chiffchaff should be common everywhere on the Island.. The sound was sort of similar to the Common ChiffChaff, but slightly different, but still every easy to distinguish..

Can anyone tell me what is right and wrong here?

Thanks
Sounds more like Canary Islands Chiff from the song description as well as looking like one.

I don't know whether or not this is helpful, but my "research" notes say that Canarian Chiffchaff is different from common chiffchaff in (a) darker brown above (b) longer tail (c) shorter primary projection (d) more of a pronounced supercilium

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back