• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sixty-second Supplement to the American Ornithological Society’s Check-list of North American Birds (2 Viewers)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
R Terry Chesser, Shawn M Billerman, Kevin J Burns, Carla Cicero, Jon L Dunn, Blanca E Hernández-Baños, Andrew W Kratter, Irby J Lovette, Nicholas A Mason, Pamela C Rasmussen, J V Remsen, Jr., Douglas F Stotz, Kevin Winker, Sixty-second Supplement to the American Ornithological Society’s Check-list of North American Birds, Ornithology, 2021;, ukab037, Sixty-second Supplement to the American Ornithological Society’s Check-list of North American Birds
Glad to see the change of the French name of Psaltriparus minimus from "mésange" to Orite.

French generic names must also change for family Arremonidae and genus Forpus, but in futures AOS papers

It works for me. I got the paper since this morning (french hours)
"A version of this article was published in error on 25 June 2021 and has been temporarily removed. The Publisher apologizes for any inconvenience."

Must be a time zone thing...anyway, feel free to send me a copy if you downloaded it :p
It works for me. I got the paper since this morning (french hours)

"A version of this article was published in error on 25 June 2021 and has been temporarily removed. The Publisher apologizes for any inconvenience."

Lucky plus time zone? If you would like to share your fortune, please feel free to send me a copy :)

There's a summary of what was in that paper on the ABA website:

The Common Gull split should make a lot of folks happy. Also pleased about the Rufous-capped Warbler split. I've only ever seen the one in Panama (Now Chestnut-capped), so this means the one that actually occurs in the USA is back to being a new species for me once I make the effort.

Must be a time zone thing...anyway, feel free to send me a copy if you downloaded it :p

Lucky plus time zone? If you would like to share your fortune, please feel free to send me a copy :)
I have it, let's see if I can attach it...

Attachments

• AOS supplement 2021.pdf
    405.4 KB · Views: 39
The rejection of the McKay Bunting lump continues to make AOS's standards on what is or isn't a species laughable
Indeed. I would wish for more of an explanation on this one - without it the recent Haida Gwai Owl decision makes for a baffling comparison at the moment. I was about to say that the only consistency is in clinging to old checklists as long as possible...

Until I noticed within the explanation for the new order of passerine families: Peucedramidae (ocoteros). Slipped that name change announcement a bit under the radar.

Laugh away.

The Common Gull split should make a lot of folks happy. Also pleased about the Rufous-capped Warbler split. I've only ever seen the one in Panama (Now Chestnut-capped), so this means the one that actually occurs in the USA is back to being a new species for me once I make the effort.

Does the gull split make up for completely ignoring the Storm-petrel proposal?

I'm hoping this blog is more of a rough draft and not that they actually deferred it. But I would expect some mention of it in the latter case.

Does the gull split make up for completely ignoring the Storm-petrel proposal?

I'm hoping this blog is more of a rough draft and not that they actually deferred it. But I would expect some mention of it in the latter case.
Which blog are you referring to? I couldn't find ocoteros in the actual official update pdf

The proposal also mentions Larus kamtschatchenis, however I do not think this species was split in this update. Kamtschatka Gull does turn up in Alaska, so I am not sure what this means (or if it isn't just a typo).

Which blog are you referring to? I couldn't find ocoteros in the actual official update pdf
ahh...I think you are referring to the ABA blog post. That was written by someone not on the AOS taxonomy committee. I think this is the author's addition just to poke the bear a bit.

They did actually split off the Cape Verde (I think?) Storm Petrel, but it's extralimital and doesn't otherwise effect the checklist. Would have been nice to see the Pacific population split off, which seemed a reasonable option and what I sort of expected would happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back