• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skein of Geese, East Sussex, UK (1 Viewer)

JoeRawles

Feathers Wild Bird Care
A big ask I know, but this skein just flew over heading roughly south west. Any ideas? :h?:

002e.jpg

Close up of above:

002eclose.jpg

They'll more than likely be Pinkfeet I should think, Looks like there's a Duck of some sort in with them.

A flock of Brent would be more likely in Sussex. Having said that, I'm getting more of a Canada vibe, and the 2 smaller ones also look like geese to me, maybe Brent?

Thanks for all your advice, neither of us noticed smaller ones at the time but they passed over pretty quick, just enough time to grab the camera for a picture really. Would have been nice to have added something new to our list but seems like it's not conclusive, we've had plenty of Canada and Greylag sightings before so probably one of the two.

I'd go for Greylag, I think we can see enough of the coloration to rule out black & white geese.

Definitely Grey Geese I'd say so probably Greylags If Pinkfeet are an unlikely option in the area.
I hadnt noticed that there are several small birds I only noticed one, Not covinced they are the same species just further away though they look quite short winged in comparison.

Can't it be brent geese with at least 2 pintail?

5000 brent goose and 300 pintail in migration along the French coast near Calais yesterday.

edit : the difference seems to big for pintail and brent goose.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back