• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skuas at Holme Dunes, Norfolk (2 Viewers)

Alexjh1

Seeing the wind was favourable for some skua passage yesterday, I decided to head out to Holme Dunes to see what I could pick up. Sadly a lot of haze out to sea which made it impossible to get a good look at most things passing far out, but a few birds did come marginally closer in, so may as well take the opportunity to see how the skua id skills I've been working on year are developing.

Thanks in advance!

#1 - Dark Phase Arctic?
1697436381256.png

#2 Pale juvenile arctic or Pomarine
1697437045228.png

#3 Just throwing this last one in here because sometimes you just have to laugh when photograpy conditions aren't in your favour...

1697437210270.png

For me, first bird almost certainly Arctic based on apparently slim shape, distribution of white prim shafts and general likelihood. Shafts look very bright for a dark phase bird but that might be the light or an artefact.
Second certainly a juvenile so even harder to tell. I'd have to say Arctic too, just based on the percentages really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back