• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC model timeline (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
Is there a comprehensive timeline for SLC models? I'm curious when the 30s (presumably replaced by CL?) and 50s and 7x were discontinued, why the 42s alone came out in a new HD version c.2011 but the 56s not until 2014, and so on.

Is there a comprehensive timeline for SLC models? I'm curious when the 30s (presumably replaced by CL?) and 50s and 7x were discontinued, why the 42s alone came out in a new HD version c.2011 but the 56s not until 2014, and so on.
Try these links:

Hi tenex,

I’ve attached a table showing the various introductions and discontinuations for the SLC’s *

The first CL Companion x30 that I’ve observed is #K8103 05022. So it's from January (week 03) of 2011 (81 + 1930), and the 22nd unit produced
(it’s a display unit with moving controls and external lenses but no other optics; it’s marked in large letters DUMMY next to the serial number).
So at least in terms of timing, it seems that the original x30 CL was meant as a replacement for the x30 SLC.

As to why the new x56 SLC came out several years after the new x42, only Swarovski knows. Presumedly it was a combination of considerations including:
the relative demand for the x42 and x56 lines; the development process for the x56; and; other scheduled developments and introductions.

From 2010 to 2013, beside the CL x30’s the other introductions were: the EL SV x32 and x50 binoculars; the EL Range x42 binoculars;
the ATX/ STX modular telescopes, and; the Z4 telescopic sights, with the Z6 sights being upgraded to HD glass!

So looking at the binocular introductions . . .
One could speculate that even if the new x56 SLC design was ready in 2010, Swarovski may have decided to delay it's introduction until 2013.
As the x50 EL SV was introduced in 2010, Swarovski may have decided to allow it time to be established before introducing the new x56 SLC.
They would have anticipated that the x56 would take away from some x50 sales.

John

For those interested, see a table from a 2005 catalogue. It show the specifications for the SLC (and original EL) models then in production.

* Since first posting the table, I've upgraded it to correct an error in the original version.

Attachments

• SLC Models v2 .jpg
    SLC Models v2 .jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 2005 Catalogue.jpg
    2005 Catalogue.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thanks John, just what I sought. I keep thinking of SLC as a complete "line" of binoculars like TrinovidUltra/Ultravid, but it didn't even start that way: only 30mm for seven years, then 42s also for five more years, and finally larger models. And then they disappear practically one model at a time... here's a simple graphic view.

Swaro SLC history 2.jpg

What were the specs for the 7x30? It's not in any data sheet I've seen, and would be interesting to compare to the new Curio.

By the way, in post #4 of the thread Chuck linked, John had observed:
However, I do have a number of interesting images from various on-line listings, that look inside the x42 SLC objective housings
I’ve attached two images of the original 2010 version, and two of the revised 2013 one

As can be seen, the metallic components within the objective housing seem to have been totally redesigned
e.g. the internal baffling and spacers, along with the supports for the fixed objective lenses, and also the carrier for the focusing lens
(presumedly along with the detail of the focuser mechanism)

The 2010 version is conventionally Swarovski, with multiple machined components that have a relatively fine textured finish
The 2013 version appears to use fewer die-cast components with a rougher textured finish

Interestingly, the changes did not seem to have had any obvious adverse effect on optical performance

- - - -
The above also raises the issue of whether similar changes have taken place to the Legend version of the EL FieldPro?
i.e. the revised version of the EL x42 that was introduced last year along with the new NL x42
Has anyone since examined the "EL Classic" to investigate this?

(And hi Chuck, welcome back.)

Last edited:
Answering my own question here, re: 7x models, from an old thread here --
The Swaro 7x30 B has a FOV of 7.2 deg. or 378 ft./1000 yds. It has the same short focus as the 8x30 WB of 13.2 ft.
Whereas CL 7x21 has 7.7° or 405 ft/1000 yds, and short focus of 8.2 ft. That's impressive.

Last edited:
Hi Tenex,

For completeness, see a copy of the the x30 Mk II specifications that were with a listing for a 1991 unit.
The 7x30’s FOV is 126 m/ 1000 m or 378 ft/ 1000 yd, and
the 8x30's FOV is 136 m/ 1000 m or 408 ft/ 1000 yd (so close enough to 410 ft as noted by Ed).

While the 8x30’s FOV figures are still 136 m/ 408 ft in the 2005 catalogue shown in post #3 above,
by then the weight has increased from 540 to 590 g/ from 19 to 20.8 oz
(perhaps due to a change to the composition of the RA, and/ or some internal components?).

John

Attachments

• Mk II x30 Spec's.jpg
    Mk II x30 Spec's.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back