• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slimbridge (1 Viewer)

Tim100

Just wondered what peoples' thoughts were on Slimbridge nr Bristol.

Went there years ago and was really disappointed. The hides just looked out onto empty fields. I was expecting lots more. The only birds there were domestic geese and ducks by the ponds.

Anyone else been disappointed by Slimbridge?

I went there in January and had a very pleasant day out if I recall. White-fronted Geese, Bewick's Swans and Golden Plover were all firsts for me at the time (I think, too lazy to check records at the moment), and there were fabulous numbers of Pochard and Pintail (always a favourite) to savour.

With the various facilities, displays and the captive birds, I imagine it would be a good spot for a birder with a tolerant but not-too-enthusiastic partner / family.

Plus, when I was a boy, I remember stuff about Sir Peter Scott and Slimbridge being part of what turned me on to nature, and particularly birds, in the first place (featured a lot on Blue Peter I recall). We owe him a lot, and I'm particularly delighted if I can support this legacy of his, even in a small way.

Give it another go this winter - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Definitely better in the winter when the geese come in. I've seen plenty of White-fronted Geese and last February a Bean Goose amomng them. Also the huge numbers of Bewick Swans and Pochard that gather on a pond near the centre for the twilight feed.

David Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back